[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Cleaning your fish tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Cleaning your fish tank

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: Cleaning your fish tank

Postby colinoak » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:05 am

Hi mick can you explain what the floating algae magnet is.

I gather it attracks the algae but when do you use it, e.g. all the time or just when cleaning ?

Do LFS carry them ?
colinoak

Postby POS_miniracer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:42 am

Hi Colinoak,
It's a Mag Float cleaner. Magnetic on both halves. The half on the inside has an abrasive strip kind of like what you'd see on the stiffer firmer half of a velcro strip and the idea is as you move the magnet on the outside of the tank the other half stays stuck to it through the glass and follows it wherever it goes cleaning the inside of the glass while keeping your hands dry (for the most part). Obviously they don't quite reach everywhere in the tank but I use mine once a day and it makes the weekly cleaning a lot easier. And if they break loose from each other the halves float so you can either just reach in and grab it off the surface or depending on how close it is to the glass it will just draw itself back to the one you're holding on the outside of the tank.

One thing to keep in mind if you're planning on getting one is that bigger is not always better as the larger one's (intended for larger tanks) have stronger magnets because the larger the tank the thicker the glass so the attraction is much stronger and if not careful you could in theory crack your glass when the two halves colide.
POS_miniracer

Postby Mick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:12 am

I couldn't have explained that better myself :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby vinboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:46 am

Just a point on cleaning filters if your in/ex filters have more than one sponge only clean one at a time.
Plus small regular water changes are better than one large one overdue.
vinboy

Postby colinoak » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks for that POS_miniracer.

I know exactly what you described and have seen them.

Just didn't contect the name to the product.

Thanks again
colinoak

Postby xbeckieboox » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Also ive got a bit of fishing line attached to both pieces my magnet glass cleaner so if it jumps, mine sometimes does, and the bit on the inside of your tank sinks to the bottom you can get it out with out getting wet.You can also use the magnet to retrieve items.When I put cucmber in my tank I use a broken spoon,so the cucmber stays at the bottom of the tank, the magnet sticks to it so I can pull it out when all the cucumber has been consumed.
xbeckieboox

Postby CrazyDaizy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 am

I was only agreeing to having this marine/tropical fish tank on the basis one did not need to CLEAN it very often.

I assumed the filters etc, and the kind of fish (arent snails/shrimps good at cleaning?) kept the tank relatively clean anyway?
CrazyDaizy

Postby Mick » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:30 pm

I normally just runm the algae magnet over the glass every other day, my filters get cleaned in rotation once very 3 months, its the water changes that take up most time.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby CrazyDaizy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:42 pm

So how much time do water changes take?
CrazyDaizy

Postby malakye » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Water changes and some form of substate cleaning must be done on a weekly basis or you will run into issues especially if you are considering marines. As to how long it takes it depends on the size of tank. If you go marines for example you will have to get the RO water and salt mixed the day before the planned water change so you can get it up to temperature and ensure you have the correct salinity measurements etc.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners