Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

UV film

If you are new to the hobby.

UV film

Postby Bedbug » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Has anyone put UV plastic film on their tank?

The side of my tank is 5 ft. from the window. That side and part of the back has algae as do the plastic plants and hiding places on that end of the tank.
One can buy UV film for house windows and cars that stop up to 90% UV light.

Looking at options.
1. Cover the side of the tank with back ground paper. Don't know if UV goes through it. also could not see into the tank on that side.
2. use UV film. Not sure what that will do either. You can see through the UV film. It may act like a mirror for the fish.
3. Put on back ground then UV film so fish do not see reflections. Again could not see in end of tank.
Bedbug

Re: UV film

Postby Graeme » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:20 am

Hello Bedbug. I don't know if UV film will prevent the algae growing but it will let most of the visible light part of the spectrum into your tank. Photosynthesis works at all frequencies, except green, so there's a very good chance that it won't help. I think that blocking the light altogether will be the best option but you could always experiment with the UV film. Science is fun!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Re: UV film

Postby malakye » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:39 pm

A solid back ground on the side will be fine on its own rather than the UV film. Downside is that yes it will mean you can't see through that side but the UV film would still leave you struggling with algae.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners