Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Reef Lobsters

Discuss any saltwater invertebrates.

Reef Lobsters

Postby MarineBioPhil » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know anything about Reef Lobsters of the Family Enoplometopidae?

My LFS has a couple at the mo and I was curious about them. How big do they get? What's their diet? Are they reef safe? What is their minimum tank size? Etc.

Basically it was while I was looking after about 50 EBP European lobsters when at uni which sparked my interest in this hobby in the first place and I've always said I will get a lobster for my tank when it’s up and running.

Well the day I get my tank set up is approaching (not there quite yet unfortunately, power point issues…don’t ask) and I want to know if I'm going to be able have one when I start or whether I will have to wait until I'm abit more experienced, need a bigger tank, more stable system, different tank mates etc. The last thing I would want is to not be able to care for it properly.

There doesn't appear to be much info on the internet on them, so I thought I'd ask here. I’m not after anything specific to me, just if anyone has had any experience with them could they pass on any notes?

Cheers
Phil
MarineBioPhil

Re: Reef Lobsters

Postby stumpy316uk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Never had one its one of them once I think is best left in the oceans imo. Dont really know much about them. This is the only info I could find.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aqua ... ?c=497+506
stumpy316uk

Postby malakye » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 pm

malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MarineBioPhil » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Excellent work, Thanks.

I have a feeling that they may be something for a very specific tank/community that is based around their individual behaviour traits.

I've also looked into it some more since posting and from what I can see they can go either way: either being really good additions to the CUC or bad as they will hunt the fish. They also seem to be really rather reclusive which isn't great for a display tank.

So all in all I don't think I will be getting one at the mo, maybe in the future tho as I still think lobsters are ace. We'll just have to see.
MarineBioPhil

Postby malakye » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:03 pm

I think your right about them being more for a specific set up rather than a communal tank.
You can always have their relatives, marine shrimp.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Invertebrates