[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - cleaner shrimp carrying eggs?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

cleaner shrimp carrying eggs?

Discuss any saltwater invertebrates.

Re: cleaner shrimp carrying eggs?

Postby Mick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:19 pm

Now that was interesting and I haven't got any larva to look after, read through this Michael it should help you a lot

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby michael » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:50 pm

wow, that is some info, ive just printed it off to have a read, cant read for that long on a computer screen. thankyou so much. back in 10 minutes.
michael

Postby michael » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:15 pm

that was a fantastic read, thanks again. i caught my larvae in exactly the same way as described using the torch. i remembered a bit about shrimp larvae reacting to light from my sea monkey days. lol. as soon as i shone the torch on them they all gathered in the one spot of light. im glad it said about them swimming backwards and spiralling. thought mine were just crackers. and mine do have the orange area so hopefully this is a good sign that there eating. this is the kind of information i needed, excellent find :beer:
michael

Postby malakye » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Really glad to have been of help.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby malakye » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Its been a few days since your last update Michael, how are the larvae doing?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby michael » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:55 am

hi everyone, i come bearing good and bad news. unfortunatly the last brood didnt make it. it was by day 7 when i couldnt see any life apart from loads of baby brine shrimp. but last night i noticed my shrimp behaving oddly so i grabbed my torch to see what was going on. it was on top off the rock near to my powerhead so i knew what was coming. at first it released the odd couple into the water column. so i shouted my mrs in excitment to grab me a container just incase. we both sat there waiting for it to happen, then all of a sudden one of the most spectacular scenes i have ever witnessed happened right in front of me and my partners eyes. the shrimp lifted her tail into the air, flapped like mad, then a huge shower of tiny shrimp larvae emerged. it was incredible, i couldnt believe so many could be carried by such a small creature. this was the single most exciting thing i have ever seen in my years of fishkeeping.
i did the same as last time using the torch to keep them in one area and syphoned as many as i could. i sorted the raising tank out ready for them and put them straight in. now heres the thing i dont understand. the larvae look totally different from the last lot. these look more like little shrimp. as though there more developed than the last lot was. i can see their tiny legs and pincers which i couldnt see on the last ones. so im thinking maybe the last lot was premature, if this is possible. now this time i am ready for them with the food and tank so fingers crossed for better success, ill keep you updated as last time. i also have a new tank mate which ill share with you later when i get some pics.
michael

Postby Mick » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:11 am

It could be that the first batch were released early as the shrimp was new to the tank, now it has settled down it could be holding the larva longer

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby michael » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:18 am

i thought the same thing. well as you said, this time im more prepared. and armed with more info.
michael

Postby malakye » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Sounds like the move of the stress caused her to release the others early, this lot sound a lot healthier and better. Hope you have better luck with them.
Count yourself lucky for witnessing that, by the sounds of things it would have been an amazing thing to witness. Wishing you all the best with this batch, keep us up to date with them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby michael » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:16 pm

all seems to be going well so far, ive had no fatalities yet. also theirs belly have turned brown so good sign of them feeding. my only concern is that the tank im raising them in has quite a few life forms in there including brineshrimp from the last batch and i think copepods which must be from the main tank. im just worried that the shrimp may get too greedy and eat what they cant handle but it would be too risky for me to try and remove them.
michael

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Invertebrates