Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Marine Tank Stocking

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

Marine Tank Stocking

Postby DarkLord385 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:38 am

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with marine fish tank stocking levels and compatibility. I am considering purchasing a 55 gallon marine tank for my home. It won't have any corals but I will make sure to add plenty of Live rock.

The Fish I am considering are:
An Ocellaris Clownfish
A Royal Gramma
A Firefish/Dartfish
A Christmas Wrasse
A Valentini Puffer/Toby

Also Either a:
Flame Angelfish
Lemon Butterflyfish
Tahitian Butterflyfish

And Possibly a:
Diamond Watchman Goby
or Green Mandarin

Any advice on which fish would be right for this size tank and compatibility issues would be greatly appreciated

Hope to hear from you soon,
DarkLord385
DarkLord385

Re: Marine Tank Stocking

Postby malakye » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
With your first group of fish I would say watch the royal gramma, make sure its the last fish in the tank because they (in my opinion) can be hit or miss as to aggression. I like the puffer, they are lovely fish but messy eaters so make sure you have a good skimmer.
I would leave the butterfly fish out I am afraid to say, they do require larger than 55gallon, 70 is considered the minimum for those and with the other fish you have before that on the list it reduces your stocking level considerably.
I like the goby and madarin but both can be hit or miss for feeding. With the goby make sure you can buy live foods which you can add to the sand or they can and will starve. With the mandarin make sure you can get hold of live copepods or start your own culture, dont add the mandarin until you have a good culture running.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater for Beginners