[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - DSB- Deep Sand Bed
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

DSB- Deep Sand Bed

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

DSB- Deep Sand Bed

Postby Mick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 pm

A quick summary of how a DSB works-It is twice as efficient as any ordinary filtration method if set up properly and it takes the nitrogen cycle one stage further than any aquarium filter is capable of.

the secret of a successful DSB is to reduce the oxygen levels in the sand by means of compaction. This is why it is critical to use the correct depth of sand as the bacteria that convert the nitrites into nitrates are not oxygen dependant. Ordinary filters will finish up with a final product of nitrates- algae food!!!!

In a DSB the bacteria actually convert the nitrates back into nitrites, dodgy eh! The clever bit is that the nitrites are then converted into nitrogen gas which disperse into the atmosphere, no other aquarium filter can do this.

If the sand is too shallow there will be too much oxygen in the media for this process to take place, if the bed is too deep the sand at the bottom will turn black and produce sulphur dioxide. 4-5 inches should suffice, use varying grain sizes of sand to get the compaction right.
Not only will a DSB act as a nitrate remover but it will also act as a calcium reactor. The DSB will be more acidic than the tank water so it will dissolve aragonite or coral sand releasing calcium back into the water for the inhabitants to soak up.
This is only a brief description but I hope it helps you all understand how beneficial it is.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Re: DSB- Deep Sand Bed

Postby Nec » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:26 pm

I always thought that you were against DSB's Mick. As you know, I have one in my 55 that is between 4 - 4 1/2 inches without any known negative issues from it.
Nec

Postby Mick » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Never been against DSB's, they are no good for FW, its canister filters that I regard as nitrate factories in the SW world

Mick

Postby Nec » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm tossing around the idea of doing another DSB on the 150 with Carib Sea Aragonite seeded with a few cups from the sand that's in the 55. The only thing that I regret doing on the 55 was adding a couple bags of that live sand that has chunls of crushed coral and other things. I hate the look of it. In the 150, I want a nice white, almost sugar look. Do you think that if I moved all 4" of sand from the 55 to the 150 and added the white, finer sand on top of it to give me a DSB would work?
Nec

Postby Mick » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:15 pm

I do as most of the best DSB's use different graded sizes of sand anyway, this allows for a more even compaction

Mick

Postby Nec » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I think that would be a good mix then. I will mix what i have with the new, finer & whiter sand I wish to use to make the 4" in the new tank. Thanks
Nec

Postby madhouse » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:01 pm

would this sort of thing work in an external filter

having a deep sand bed and flowing water though it ?
Karl

Dont ask as i probably dont know but just incase i do it's probably wrong
madhouse

Postby Mick » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:44 pm

I have nevr heard of anyone trying a DSB in an external, usually done in a sump. I would think there may be too much oxygen in a canister filter for the bacteria as they are non-oxygen dependant

Mick

Postby Nec » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:07 pm

RDSB (Remote Deep Sand Beds) are mainly used for nitrate removal in refugiums with plenty of flow and with at least 2-3 inches of water above them. As Mick said, i'm not too sure about putting them in a sump.
Nec

Postby Blowfish » Mon May 24, 2010 12:49 am

DSB's tend to only work long term as a plenum system!
Using an eggcrate base raised up 2" or so of the bottom of the tank by cut plastic piping evenly spaced on base of tank
Then fine mesh(gravel tidy)3-4" corse coral gravel cover with gravel tidy then 3-4" coral sand.
This creates an anarobic area under the sand that will complete de-nitrifcation....ammonia-nitrite-nitrate....all of which get delt with!
It takes several months to have any noticable effect but does work!
U also need a really good in tank turnover 40+ times an hour
With alot of folks now miracle mud+caulerpa(cheatomorpha-seaweeds)is far more efficiant and easier to maintain with an inch or two of sand in display tank.
I'm about to set up a 5'x2'x20'" with both plenum and Miracle mud sump system....will put a build thread up shortly! :thu:
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Next

Return to Saltwater for Beginners