[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - undergravel filter in marine set up ??
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

undergravel filter in marine set up ??

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

undergravel filter in marine set up ??

Postby larry123 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm

3 weeks away from setting up my new marine tank . i have read a few books that say you should use undergravel filter plates or egg crate to lift your rock off the glass , then place netting over that then marine gravel ??

i know the old plastic undergravel plates we re a must years ago . does any one have any advice on this - do i use eggcrate to raise the rock from the glass or should i use the algarde plastic filter plates ? ;plo)
larry123

Re: undergravel filter in marine set up ??

Postby Katfish » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:56 am

I would use egg crate dont ask me why but that's what I was told to use when I was going to set up a marine.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:04 am

I would use egg crate, it prevents the rock from concentrating the weight in one place thus prevents any chance of the bottom glass cracking

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby andy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:10 pm

the idea around using egg crate and to lift live rock off the bottom is to get as much water flow around the rock as possible. If live rock is your main scource of filteration...which it usually is in a reef, good water flow is essential around the rocks to ensure optimum filteration.

Egg crate is a much more open structure than filter plates so best to use that. Raising the egg crate off the tank base by using small bits of acrylic really helps too and ensures water gets right under the crate

Hope that helps
andy

Postby superdart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 pm

As above with Andy and sylicon the edges to stop any slipping.I personally use 1" blobs of milliput on the contact edges of the base rocks.Another way I have seen is to sylicon 6mm x 20mm x 200mm perspex or glass strip's to the base to support the base rock's as that let's plenty of water through under neath if you want to flush the crud out.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby larry123 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:18 pm

thanks to all - went and bought egg crate today and tmc legs to lift the crate off the bottom of the tank . Also got some silicone to silcone rocks .

what thickness of substrate should i use ? i was going to lift the egg crate off the bottom of tank , put a layer of matured marine sand from my local aquarium shop , the put a layer of fine mesh over teh egg crate then a 2 cm bed of coral sand ??

any one got any views on this ?
larry123

Return to Saltwater for Beginners