Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Clean up crew ?

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

Clean up crew ?

Postby larry123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi
Would should I add to my 100 litre new marine set up as a clean up crew ? I ve been reading various things on the Internet about hermits turbo snails starfish etc but wanted to take on the advice of you guys

How many do you put in and what ?
larry123

Re: Clean up crew ?

Postby stumpy316uk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 pm

best just to start with hermit crabs and turbo snails. they normally say 1 to every 10ltrs of water. hermit crabs there is lots of different colours to choose from but all do the same jobs theres red legged, green legged, blue knuckle, halloween thats just a few. best to get red or green legged. turbo snail any will do.

you can get nassarius snails which will sift the sand and come to the surface for food. then after they have being in for how long you feel comform with u can add a cleaner shrimp.

u can get sand sifting starfish and normal starfish but they r normally after 6 months+ when the tank has fully mature has the sand sifting star needs a healthy sandbed.

hope this helps
stumpy316uk

Postby larry123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Thank you that helps 1 every 10 litres nice and easy for me then with 100 litre tank no calculator needed ! Are all the turbo snails the same ? Don't you ever get probs with them breeding ?
My last discus tank I had a terrible prob with snails once they started breeding !
larry123

Postby stumpy316uk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 pm

No never had that problem. If u do it will be a good thing too. One thing I forgot get some empty shells too for thw hermits they will change shells when they shed and grow if not they will kill and eat ur snails for there shell
stumpy316uk

Return to Saltwater for Beginners