[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Going big for a first salt water
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Going big for a first salt water

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

Going big for a first salt water

Postby DominicJ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I've moving end of this year (far away I know) and we are getting a new tank to go in the party room (place with pool table).
Obviously like everyone else I think salt waters look awesome, and like everyone else, are terrifyingly hard.

Anyway
We were looking at
http://www.ndaquatics.co.uk/?pg=details&ii=21
And since
http://www.ndaquatics.co.uk/?pg=details&ii=31
Is only £200 more, we thought, maybe salt.

I'd be mostly interested in crustacians, and maybe one or two small fish. Does the giant understocked tank rule trump salt is hard? Or should I just go back to looking at fresh water shrimp?
DominicJ

Re: Going big for a first salt water

Postby andy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:45 pm

My first thought is "what a waste" lol Big marine tanks are crying out for big marine fish, queen and emperor angels, powder blue and achilles tangs, raccoon and addis butterflies, lionfish, morays, groupers etc etc.

Can't you get a little nano tank and keep crustaceans in and have the big tank for big salties ???
andy

Postby stumpy316uk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:03 pm

U could have a nice size reef with that tank with some stunning fish with it being ur first salty tank I would try some simple fish and corals first with some soft coral u can still have ur hermit crabs snail shrimps and a nice reef lobster in it then go from there.

The fish andy said are great fish to have but they can be a nightmere has the queen and emperor angel will nip at corals so too will the butterflyfish then powder blue r nice but will get white spot and the achilles tang r stunning with a stunning pricetag too cheapest I have seen is £250 imo should be left in the seas.lionfish will eat anything big enough to fill in its mouth. Moray and groupers will out grow the tank in time all this is just my opinion.

Just keep it simple and u wont fail and just take it one step at a time. And just do ur research so u know what u r letting urself in for.

So many people turns away from salty tanks has they have had a bad experience or think its dead expensive.

Sorry about the bit of a rant.
stumpy316uk

Postby malakye » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:44 pm

As Stumpy said that size tank would make a stunning reef tank.
I have found saltwater tanks are not much harder than freshwater tanks so long as you keep the parameters up and don't try to cut corners, nothing good happens fast with a marine tank.
You could have some really nice fish in there with shrimp, crabs, hermits, starfish etc.
The downside to marine aquariums is the initial expense.

Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need too. Stumpy is the saltwater mod and will steer you right.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DominicJ » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:45 pm

I much prefer lots of small fish to a big fish.
I just think 30 shoaling tetras looks so much cooler than a cloan loach.
That may not be the case with marine fish, but £250 for one fish, no matter how cool, sounds a lot!

But anyway, technical aspects first. Off to read everything there is on how the tank works.
Is there like a comprehensive guide anywhere?
One that starts at a glass tank and ends with it functional and stocked?
I have loads of small bits of information from reading forums on specific points, like how a DSB works, and what a protein skimmer does, but I'm not sure how I would connect the three.
If that makes sense.
DominicJ

Postby malakye » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:05 pm

I have to agree with you that groups of small fish are nicer than one big one.

I am sure stumpy could write you up something telling you how to set it up. Skimmers usually either sit in the sump or on the back of the main tank, they have their own pump which pulls water from the tank and gives it a thorough cleaning before pumping back into the tank, all the crud goes into the skimmer cup which absolutely stinks lol.
DBS usually are in the sump.
I am not sure if your new tank has a sump or not.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stumpy316uk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

There r a few guides on here that I have done and that other people have done have a read of them will pull u links to have a read of.
stumpy316uk

Postby stumpy316uk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Have a read of this.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3440
stumpy316uk

Postby andy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:56 am

andy

Postby stumpy316uk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 pm

stumpy316uk