[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Going big for a first salt water
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Going big for a first salt water

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

Re: Going big for a first salt water

Postby malakye » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Keep it friendly guys. You both have valid issues but as the original poster stated he is not into big fish I think we will give the big fish a drop now.

Achilles tangs up this way are hitting the £300 so £95 is a brilliant price.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:13 pm

andy

Postby stumpy316uk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Andy like I have said before I didnt mean for upset or rip anyones posts I was just trying to say the fish u stated may be abit to advance for a new reefers to take on. No where in my posts have I said that they were not suitable for a 6 foot tank I was just trying to point out that they maybe to advance for someone new to marine.

I apologize if any of posts offended you or anyone else that reads them.
stumpy316uk

Postby DominicJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:36 am

chill everyone, it wasnt supposed to start a fight.
Big fish do look awesome, but variety is the spice of life, and the smaller they are, the more I can have.
I've managed to find a few tank journals from really anal people who have listed everything they bought.
So reading through those.
Trying to work out the plumbing, and then its just the hard stuff like water chemistry and flow rates.
And convincing the other half that a more expensive tank and £300 of rock and a R/O system and a......
is all worth it

Speaking of, in my freshwater, my filter syphons from the bottom of the tank and returns to the top.
In a marine, it looks like the sump drains from the top, and the sump pump returns to the top. Now, thats going to clear any surface scum brilliantly, but isnt a lot of rubbish going to find its way to the bottom?
Will that all be eaten by snails and the like?
Or will powerheads blow it all up to the surface to drain in to the sump?
DominicJ

Postby stumpy316uk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:00 am

Hi.
What doesn't like pick up by ur filter or skimmer will get eaten by clean up crew u can always blow the rubbish off ur rocks so it get pick up by the filter and a syphon to clean the sand.

The more surface movement u have the better has it helps with gas exchange. There u loads of guides on here about water movement flow rates live rock and many other have a good read of them.

Sorry about the above dude.
stumpy316uk

Postby DominicJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:19 pm

We went to a local P&H today and sidled over to the big marine displays, she who must be appeased seemed very impressed with some of them, some of them looked like the end bit of Akira of course, but lots were very cool.

Would we really need 6x80w T5s?
That just seems a huge amount of light. I dont think my office has that much!

Could we have a glass covered tank and a glass covered sump to reduce evaporation loss, or would that interfere with gas exchange too much?
We dont heat our tropical tank, and have noticeable paint cracking caused by the water loss from it.

Am I correct in believing that marine tanks with sumps / deep sand beds dont need water changes the same way that tropicals use them to get rid of nitrates?

Is there any reason a salt water set up, minus the salt, couldnt be used for tropicals?

Stupid questions for the day finished with
DominicJ

Postby malakye » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:12 pm

I have glass covers on my marine tank to cut down evaporation. If you wanted to keep a fish only tank you could get away with less lights, if you wanted to go down the sps coral route then yes you would need those lights or LEDs. You still have to do water changes on marine tanks even when you have a sump.

No there is no reason a saltwater set up could be used for a tropical tank, Katfish on here has a large tank that used to be a marine but he converted it to tropicals.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Saltwater for Beginners