Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Red Sea Max

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

Red Sea Max

Postby bluedolphin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi, newbie here.
We have a second hand red sea max 130 with an extra external v power filter. my question is can I remove the ceramic media from under the internal pumps and will this harm my tanks filtration.
I know that these are an integral part of the filtration. But as this tank came with the external v power with 4 baskets for different types of media. I don't see the need for them (I can understand why the original owner decided on the external, as the internal media is a pain to get out for cleaning, as they sit under two powerheads which have to be removed.

We decided to remove them because we were told that it may be the bag of ceramic that was causing the power heads to expel tiny bubbles.

More questions later :-):
Thanks
bluedolphin

Re: Red Sea Max

Postby malakye » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 pm

They will be fine to remove from the internal.
With the external if it has sponges either clean these every few days or remove them as they can add nitrates into the tank which you do not want.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bluedolphin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. so what kind of filtration media should I be looking at? The v power cane with....even more ceramics. a black sponge, which I assume is carbon..will be replacing that soon. I was thinking of live rock rubble but not sure what else. I have put floss I the v power.
bluedolphin

Postby stumpy316uk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Yeah remove it and it will be fine m8 I run my 4ft tank with no media in the external filter apart from rowaphos carbon and bio pearls. Has malakye said just wash the foss every few days. U can always remove the media and use live rock rumble instead has live rock is the best filter u buy.
stumpy316uk

Postby stumpy316uk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Yeah the black pad will be carbon. I would take the filter media out and replace it with lr rumble in the external filter then in the rsm filter use that for carbon and rowaphos.
stumpy316uk

Postby bluedolphin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:41 pm

thank you both stumpy316uk and makakye. so what about these bubbles could it be the protein skimmer (which am still trying to get my head around! Were waiting for maturation so have live rock and salt water of course water nut nowt else. Is it worth the effort of using reef maturing pro kit?

Thanks
bluedolphin

Postby stumpy316uk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Yeah it will be the skimmer they r mirco bubbles not 100% sure on how to stop it but will have a look see what I can find for u. Normally adding abit a foss to the outlet pipe works well but doeant look nice. Personally I would let the tank mature on its own. Have u cycle the tank yet?
stumpy316uk

Postby superdart » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Most of the people that I know with RSM's have ditched the skimmer and added a tunze 9002 that fit's right in and is 100% better.No micro bubbles,no noise and more skimmate......win win.... :thu:
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby bluedolphin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:35 am

thanks Malakye No its still maturing. We have live rock in the tank. When would you start testing? When can I add the clean up crew?
x
bluedolphin

Postby bluedolphin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks Superdart
Will look into that
x
bluedolphin

Next

Return to Saltwater for Beginners