Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Red Sea Max

New to saltwater or still thinking of moving onto it.

Re: Red Sea Max

Postby stumpy316uk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Arrowcrabs can be nasty things. Ur hermits r just eating dont worry about them they will be fine and keep a eye on for molts too. Hermit and shrimp will normally shed after going in to a tank mine hermit s have a little cave they go into it fits about 5 in and they stay there for days. Its normal shrimp behaviour they will find a spot and normally stay there they r just waiting for fish to come to them to be cleaned.
stumpy316uk

Postby bluedolphin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 am

Houston...we have a problem!!! big problem....I can't regulate the temp. Ok I panicked and kept fiddling with the heater controls because it just kept rising. So I opened the lid and turned off the heater for a few hours but it still stayed the same. It's now reading 29 degrees. I lost Sally the shrimp :cry: last night, which was a big blow as I was really taken with her/him :blus: . What do you do when the temp suddenly starts to rise with the weather being like this? I really want to get this all right before getting some fish. Because if it's my fault then I would feel awful.
I know that it's the fluctuations in temp that can do damage but I just panicked as it was reaching 32/33 degrees.
Feel stupid :blus:
Elaine
bluedolphin

Postby superdart » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 am

I use 4 pint plastic lemonade bottles rinced out and filled 80% with RO water then frozen in the deep freezer.Just float it in the tank until the temp drop's.....
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby bluedolphin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:25 am

Thanks Superdart
Elaine
bluedolphin

Postby malakye » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:47 am

You can also aim a fan across the top of the water which helps to cool it but as superdart says frozen bottles is the best way.

Heaters are thermostatically controlled (unless they are faulty) so will not come on unless the temps drop so there is no reason to unplug them. A friend unplugged his due to heat last year and forgot to plug it back in, temps dropped drastically overnight and he chilled the tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bluedolphin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks Malakye,
Could you give me a reason for my cleaner shrimp to die after 1 week of seemingly doing well. Would it be that it didn't have enough food, there is a lot of algae on rocks. Brown has almost gone and coralline is coming back nicely. Should I have fed it?
Elaine
bluedolphin

Postby stumpy316uk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:33 pm

What size was the shrimp it could just be it was his time to go.
stumpy316uk

Postby bluedolphin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:18 pm

looked fully grown but now I have compared it to pics it did look a bit thin. what is the life span?
Elaine
bluedolphin

Postby stumpy316uk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 pm

A few years. But I have had them only last about 6 months
stumpy316uk

Postby bluedolphin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:46 am

Yet another question.

Nitrates have risen to 10. Now I'm getting brown dust-like stuff on the sand (what is this) and the green algae ...Well I'm sick of cleaning the glass. Should I do a water change and maybe reduce lighting time? Still no fish...I want to make sure it's right. All other parameters are fine, nitrites 0 Ammonia 0 ph 8.4 Alkalinity I still cant get a reading from that on, Going to fish shop today to buy another testing kit...This Red Sea Max one is so awkward.

Crabs and snails are doing fine
Elaine
bluedolphin

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater for Beginners