[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Been Away
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Been Away

Chat about your oddballs here

Been Away

Postby pufferpuggirl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi Everyone, sorry it's been so long since I've been online here. I've now got 14 tanks and it seems like there's always something to do, and I've been very busy trying to keep up with things. I decided tonight that I should take the time to bring you all up to date on what's been happening with me and my tanks.
This has been an extra busy week for me, and I don't mind saying, a very good week at that!

Thursday I went up to North Yorkshire to Ferrybridge Aquatics. If anyone's ever up that way, you should stop in and see Kev, he's got some very nice tanks and always seems to have something interesting. He's very good about emailing me when he's got puffers that I might be interested in, and that's why we went up there on Thursday. He got some Tetraodon erythrotaenia puffers in stock (otherwise known as Red-Line puffers, which are supposed to be brackish). I've been wanting to get that species of puffer for a very long time, so I finally got my chance. I got a male and female. Within 15 minutes of having put the puffers in their tank, the female jumped out. I was upstairs having a shower and my husband came up and told me he could only see one puffer. I figured the other one was hanging out in the plants, or something, but really didn't think too much about it. I forgot to mention that the tank they were put in did not have a top on it - but it does have those glass bracings on all sides, so I thought that would make it very difficult to jump and clear those. When I came downstairs I looked and I could only see one puffer too, and I started to get frightened at that point because I thought if it did jump out and landed on the floor, my dog would probably eat it and some puffers are toxic if their flesh is eaten. So I was a bit worried about that. I looked all over and just could not see the missing puffer. I was thinking how we'd just gone to all that trouble to get these and how quickly one had already gone. Then when I looked closer at the newspaper that the dog's water bowl sits on, I seen a dark spot, but thought, at first, that it was something the dogs brought in from outside. When I moved the water bowl to get a better look, that's when I noticed that it WAS the missing puffer, who happened to be the female. I picked her up and put her in the tank, but she didn't move, so I thought she was dead, afterall, she had probably been out of the water for close to 15 minutes. I was about to put her under the filter to get some oxygen moving through her gills, and that's when she started moving on her own and then swimming around. Thankfully, she made a complete recovery! I do have a top on the tank now though. :blus:

Then yesterday we went to our LFS for some frozen mussels and that's when I found a real bargain. Normally our LFS doesn't have any interesting fish, they just don't. They are nice guys there, but it's usually the same old thing, nothing exciting. So when we went yesterday, I just headed towards the frozen foods, and my husband sort of meandered around looking. He called me over and I seen that he was standing in front of a tank that had the most beautiful brown spotted puffer! I knew immediately that it wasn't one that I already have, and I also thought it must be something interesting. I quickly went over to Dave, the employee, and asked if it was for sale. He said it was and that he would sell it to me for £6! He went on to explain that it had come in with some stock but with no explanation of what it was or anything. He thought it was a Fang's puffer, but I have 2 of them and knew that wasn't what it was. So basically we took this puffer home (after it had bitten holes in 2 bags and had to be triple bagged!). We did some research and came to the wonderful conclusion that this must be Tetraodon Abei, an Abei puffer! I've been wanting one of those for months and months. It's actually one that's on my Puffer Wish-List. I could not believe I'd gotten one finally and what's even better is that I only paid £6!!! I know a guy down in Bristol was selling his for £85 -- so I did get a very good deal on that one. I can only imagine that Dave will be kicking himself when he finds out what he sold me for £6!!

To top it off, last night I got an email from a friend of mine down in Nottingham, and she told me that a friend of hers was looking to sell her MBU puffer because it was being bullied and attacked by the cichlids that she had it in with. So we took a ride down there today and I fell in love with it immediately! It's just the cutest little thing, only about 4" long and bright-eyed and adorable. She said she was more interested in finding it a good home than she was looking to make money off of it. So in the end we got it for £55, which is a very good price for a MBU. So I was happy with that one as well. We thought we'd put him in with our redeye puffers because they always seem so calm and placid, and they are in a 4-foot tank, so thought that would be good too. Unfortunately, as soon as I put the poor little MBU into their tank, they started biting him, and I felt so sorry for him, so I immediately removed him and forgot to get him out in a cup of water, and he started inflating with air as I netted him out. It's very dangerous for a puffer to inflate with air because sometimes they cannot get the air out. Strange too because he made a noise while inflating. I've never heard that noise before, but I've heard other people talk about it. I guess none of mine have ever inflated outside the water before, that's why I've never heard it. Anyway, we put him into my big community tank and he deflated (thank goodness), and he went down to the bottom and rested, as the poor thing had just been through an ordeal. I'm happy to say that when it came to feeding time that he ate nicely and now hangs out with my South American puffers. So all is well. I have named him BeeBoo.

So, there you have it. All my new puffers to add to my already very busy life. I love every minute of it, so I'm very happy to have the new guys. :jump:

pufferpuggirl

Re: Been Away

Postby malakye » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:25 am

Welcome back hun, you have been missed. Glad to have you back, try and log in more often lol.

Some great new additions there and well done on the £6 bargain of a life time, we need pictures now though.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mick » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:22 am

Hi there, thought you had been up tp something :-):
If you was in Nottingham you should have popped down to Newark to have a cuppa.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby pufferpuggirl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:32 am

I am sorry that I haven't been on in such a long time, and I do feel abit ashamed that I haven't -- so I will try my best to be more regular.

Sorry we didn't stop in Mick, but we were on a mission, and you know how that is. I was so excited to get the MBU! I've decided that I'm not going to buy any more puffers for a while and instead concentrate on the ones I have now. I've pretty much got all the ones I've wanted, however there are still a couple I'd love to have, but the chances of finding them are very thin (Dubois' puffer and schoutedeni puffer) -- they aren't seen much in the trade.

I'm also going to thin out my redeye tank because I want to put my MBU in that tank eventually and I need to get rid of some of my C irrubesco before I can do that. So if anyone wants to start a tank with redeyes, I can give them a deal on some nice ones. :-):

**And yes, I do intend to try and get some nice photos of my new additions**

pufferpuggirl

Postby pufferpuggirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Here's a photo of my beloved MBU, and his name is BeeBoo!

pufferpuggirl

Postby malakye » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Awwwwww he is adorable, what a cute little fish.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pufferpuggirl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Keep in mind that that little fish will grow to be about 24" long!! :-):

pufferpuggirl

Postby malakye » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Yes I have seen huge examples, one kept in a fantastic 10 foot tank where the mbu had an amazing life and looked as if it were actually smiling and enjoying life, sadly the second one was crammed in a 3ft tank and looked miserable as hell and was on the verge of death due to ammonia poisoning.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pufferpuggirl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Yes I think too many people get these MBU puffers without thinking about it seriously. I have been pondering whether to get one or not for months, it wasn't a decision I came to lightly. We've talked about the fact that we will need to get a much bigger tank when it grows up, and if I can't provide BeeBoo with a decent home myself, I will be certain to find him a good home so that he may enjoy his life to the fullest. I think people make decisions about buying puffers too quickly and without considering what they are getting into. Some puffers live 10-15 years, and some longer, that's a lengthy commitment to make. I wish LFS's would ask proper questions when selling such fish (other fish apply as well) and try to make sure the fish they are selling is well suited to the person buying. I believe we are too much of a throw-away society and if it doesn't work out, then we flush it, or throw it, or give it away and nothing more is thought about it.

I think it's a shame because puffers have so much to offer, as I'm sure other fish do as well. :cry:

pufferpuggirl

Postby malakye » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:18 pm

I agree whole heartedly with you, sadly I can't see it happening though most pet stores and fish shops are more interested in how much cash is in their tills at the end of the week.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Oddballs