[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Thalassophryne amazonica - Prehistoric Monster Fish
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Thalassophryne amazonica - Prehistoric Monster Fish

Chat about your oddballs here

Thalassophryne amazonica - Prehistoric Monster Fish

Postby MissKitty » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:24 am

was going to reply on the profile for these guys but i couldn't find a reply button :(

what would you advise as the best feeder fish for these guys?
We're looking for something either:
-cheap & easily available (if any of you breed fish and cull off the lesser coloured/deformed/weaker/smaller etc we'd be happy to sort out something with you if you lived close enough)
-fast breeding with adults too large to be consumed (so would be able to live in the same tank and mr monster could feed off the babies as he desires)

our guy/gal is about 4"

guppies would be useless as they will almost never be near enough to the bottom for him to catch them, same with other live bearers
we've been told convicts are good breeders, so these could be a possibility, but with them getting so aggressive i wouldn't want to risk mr monster getting hurt (although he is excellent at hiding)

so yup :) any suggestions of fast breeding fish that will visit the bottom would be appreciated
even more so if the adults were big enough to live & breed in his tank, but not that aggressive that they would pose a threat to him.

thanks
becky :)
MissKitty

Re: Thalassophryne amazonica - Prehistoric Monster Fish

Postby Big Den » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:09 am

I like oddball fish and I have had quite a few in my time. I once had a Acestrorhynchus falcatus that refused to eat for almost 8 weeks before I finally got it to accept dead lance fish. Why you would want something that will only eat live healthy fish is beyond me. This thing lays on the bottom and only moves if a suitably sized fish swims over it. I just can't see the fish keeping attraction, other than a macabre one. I'm sorry if I sound a little brusque but this type of fish should be left in the wild.
Big Den

Postby Mick » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:34 am

I must be twisted as I like the look of them, wouldn't keep one myself but there is something about them :-):

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby weirdartist » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:20 am

From what I have read, your best bet would be to set up a tank to breed convicts in. You could put an advert in a local shop or newspaper for convict or african lake young. Certainly sounds like an interesting picture of the month contestant *hint*

Terry
weirdartist

Postby malakye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:57 pm

You would be better weaning it over to eating frozen lance fish or prawns, it not true that these will only accept live foods they can be fed frozen (defrosted obviously foods) it just takes time for them to get used to it, one hint is to use long tweezers to move the foods. Other foods they are known to have eaten are earthworms.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MissKitty » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 pm

thank you malakye!

i've tried the tweezers approach daily with prawns, so far no reaction other than him getting **** off and wofting his huge fins at me, he is ever so pretty when he does this. As of yet he has never attempted to open his mouth to bite, I was hoping he would open and bite, just get the taste, and hopefully he'd take it, but nope, as of yet no success.

Big Den, the interest in him is not as you think! I hate seeing one thing eat another, I own snakes and would never dream of feeding them live mice, always defrost (and those are bought already frozen, couldn't even kill them myself). Mr monster fish is a long story, but the attraction is to the fish himself, it may sound odd but i actually love the little guy, and if you like something enough it can persuade you to change your stance on certain things.
I had hoped that i'd eventually be able to transfer him to non-live prey but all the info i'd found said they will only eat live fish (as this species apparently only eats fish).

Convict tank seemed the most plausible option to us, or the yellow lab fry once they're mature we'll be overun anyway. OR an idea I thought up last night - find a local breeder who would be happy to supply us with the fry they would normally cull.

How long would the survive without eating? He's a nice chubby bugger at the moment, could the "offer him defrost daily untill he's hungry enough and accepts it" approach work?

p.s.

what the devil is a lancefish?!
MissKitty

Postby Big Den » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Lance fish are small silvery sided fish that can be got from most aquatic shops, they come in blister packs. I also once had a African pike (hepsetus odoe) that stubbornly refused to eat anything dead. I was close to giving in to it after 6 weeks, but it suddenly took a lance fish that I skipped across the surface. After that it was plain sailing. As your fish never leaves the bottom you could try passing a piece of cotton through a lance fish and hovering it above it, worth a try.
Big Den

Postby MissKitty » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 am

MissKitty

Return to Oddballs