Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Just checkin...

Chat about your oddballs here

Just checkin...

Postby fishnovice » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:11 pm

I have a 3 1/2in senegal birchir I purchased from a local pet store about a week ago. Since then I have learned several important lessions on keeping fish. The first one being...Do reasearch BEFORE you buy. A common sense conceipt, but like everyone else I just had to have that fish. Needless to say I had to move him to his own tank. He's in a 20gal long with a secure lid ( it's the Top Fin kit you can purchase at Petsmart), sandy substrate, 4 different types of live plants and a few hiding places ( I hear they like them but mine seems to enjoy showing off and being seen) I know it will be to small for him soon and will be upgrading to a 55gal within a month or two. When I move him to the 55gal, I would like to add other fish. The goal is to stock that tank with unusual fish and maybe some with pretty colors, although that's not super important. (I do like rainbowfish and red-tailed sharks) Any ideas on what to add with him?
fishnovice

Re: Just checkin...

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:21 pm

spotted bushfish are quite unusual and could work with the bichir, I would be careful with the red tail sharks, they could work but as they get quite aggressive too and could take the fins off the bichir which would kill that.
I have also seen them live with large golden gourami and a pair of 3 spot gourami but that was in a 75 gallon tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fishnovice » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 am

I'll have to go look those up. I will be getting a much larger tank in the future, but it will be a while. Kinda sad that I can't get the shark, but I'd rather have Draco. Such a cool fish to watch. Thanks for the advice. I come to this site daily for info. :-):
fishnovice

Postby fishnovice » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I did a little research on the bush fish. Internet said they are rare and only get 6in... will that be big enough? I did some research on the gourami and african cichlids... I really like the Peacock cichlids, but I run into the same size issue. According to my research so far, my senegal can eat fish half his body length. If that's true, he may end up alone in the 55gal :cry:
fishnovice

Postby malakye » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:57 pm

You have to watch with cichlids cause they can be quite aggressive too.
The spotted bushfish can live with them just make sure you get adults and not small specimens another possible is large butterfly fish again make sure its large specimens.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fishnovice » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:27 am

Havent' seen any spotted bush fish in any of the local stores down here, but I have a while to look. I still haven't been able to get my 55 gal yet :cry: For now it's just him and a golden algae eater in a 20 gal (long) He loves earthworms, bloodworms, and brine shrimp, but he also eats guppy fry and flake. My son named him Draco. He eats out of our hands and loves to show off. He has driftwood caves in the tank, but he only goes in it when we aren't around. Such an awesome fish.
fishnovice

Return to Oddballs