[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Puffers
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Puffers

Chat about your oddballs here

Puffers

Postby nevets9333 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:37 am

Hey so I have a 15 gallon tank that is cycling right now. At first I wanted to do a Cory tank with panda cories most likely. I have recently been looking at different kinds of puffer fish and now want to get one for the 15. From what I have read cories and puffers are probably not a good idea to put in one tank, but was wondering what you guys and gals here thought about it. I was thinking of either a figure 8 puffer or maybe malabar puffer? If I can not put cories in the tank with them what can be tankmates with puffers? Will he eat cherry shrimp? Any advice is appreciated!
nevets9333

Re: Puffers

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:54 am

Most puffers are best kept in a species only set up so they're best kept alone.
They should most definitely eat any shrimp you put in with them.
15 gallons would be about the minimum for a figure 8 but would make a nice size for the smaller Malabar.
Also some tend to believe that the Figure 8 does better in a brackish tank while the Malabar does better in a fresh water set up. Either tend to be messy eaters and more susceptible to disease so you'll have to be extra diligent about keeping water quality up to par. They also enjoy a nicely planted aquarium as well.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 pm

As POS said puffers will eat shrimp all shrimp so should never be mixed with them. They are best suited to a species only tank and the vast majoirity are best suited to brackish set ups.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 am

If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 am

To add to that, they need to eat the snails to keep their beaks trimmed

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby nevets9333 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Okay thank you. At my lfs they said they have heard success with bumble bee gobies and maybe a crab but I think I am just going to stick to cories instead. One more question is how can I make driftwood that I found safe fo my tank? I put it in a bucket of water when I got home and the water turned brown.. is their anything I can do to make it usable in the tank? I don't want it making my water cloudy or harming my fish.
nevets9333

Postby malakye » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 pm

The brown staining is just tannins in the wood releasing, they are harmless but if you dont like them then put the wood in an old pan add water and boil it for an hour or so on the cooker, keep topping up the water as the boiling process helps remove the tannins much quicker.
Puffers eat crabs so your LFS has given you bad advice there and I wouldnt risk gobies with them either.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Oddballs