Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Puffers

Chat about your oddballs here

Puffers

Postby iJason111 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:28 pm

I know there's been a couple of Puffer Topics that I've seen, but I think there was need for a more up-to-date one haha...

So I'm now looking at some dwarf puffers (Malabar) and figure 8's, but these are really the only two species I've seen mentioned.

Does anyone have any other good suggestions? And also suggestions for the aquascape/hardscape?

So all puffers have to have brackish water and if so, what is the best, most affective way of achieving this?

They'll be in a 60 gallon tank, so does the 1" of fish per gallon still apply with puffers or do they need more space?

Can they have any other species in the tanks? I heard possibly that Otos can be used.

Sorry for all the questions but as many people probably know, it's best to know more than less!
iJason111

Re: Puffers

Postby Jack Middleton » Sun May 27, 2012 6:59 pm

I can't advise you on Figure of 8 puffers apart from that they're brackish, but Dwarf Puffer's are fresh water. Dwarf Puffer's require about 4 gallons of tank space each but make sure it is densely decorated with plants, wood and rocks etc. Otto's have been used with limited success but in truth I'd advise just keeping it at Puffer's.
Jack Middleton

Postby iJason111 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Sounds good, thanks for that Jack. To be honest I'll probably be looking at getting 3 or 4 Dwarf's. 1 male and rest female. Do you know how to tell the M's and F's apart? Also, what type of food do they eat?
iJason111

Postby Jack Middleton » Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 pm

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/ See the sexing tab.

I fed mine: Bloodworm, Blackworm, Bananaworm, Brineshrimp, Chopped Prawn, Chopped Mussels, basically anything meaty. As well as snails that are smaller then the puffers eye.
Jack Middleton

Postby malakye » Sun May 27, 2012 10:07 pm

We have dwarf puffers ourselves, they are brilliant wee characters and as just said they are indeed freshwater. Figure8s are also freshwater its been debated for years about whether they are brackish or freshwater but most now agree they do better in fresh than brackish conditions.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iJason111 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Okay cool, I've heard that Otos are the favourable friends for Dwarf Puffers, does anyone house these two together or know of anyone with experience in this?
Did it work well?
iJason111

Postby malakye » Mon May 28, 2012 11:37 pm

I know a couple who tried but the puffers bothered them that much they had to remove them. Personally puffers in my experience are always better kept species only.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blowfish » Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

Will post a species list later but have kept other fish with puffers as long as they are hardy and fast like buenos aries tetra but it does depend on which puffer you go for.....figure 8's can be aclimatised to fresh water slowly....red eyed puffers would be a better choice for freshwater but their are quite a few(often hard to get) large amazonian or african freshwater puffers but these would be a pet i.e. not safe with anything! With their sizes ranging from 6" to nearly 2ft ....like the congo puffer ..(worth a google or you tube ;) ) :-):
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Postby iJason111 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Okay cool, thanks for that Blowfish. What fish do you currently have? any pics? :)
iJason111

Return to Oddballs