[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - pH test
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

pH test

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

pH test

Postby Getthejist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 am

Hey guys,
I recently checked whats actually in my water on my water suppliers website and it says the pH of the water straight out of the tap is 8.7 but i measured it 3 times and it is 7.6 definately and none of my fish tanks have pHs above 7.2. However my water is very soft so maybe this is the cause? Is there something wrong with my test kit, its the API master test kit. I might pick up some universal indicator just to make sure. Thanks in advance
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Re: pH test

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 am

Although the test kits do have a limited shelf life I'd tend to trust their results over what's posted on the web from the supplier. Is there any way to tell when the last time they actually checked theirs was? It could just be a case of old data depending on how often they check and post the results. Also I imagine there are several factors that could affect it's level from the main source to the tap. In most cases unless your pH is at one extreme or the other constant swings will do more harm than being consistent/stable yet outside the optimum range.
POS_miniracer

Postby Jack Middleton » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 am

Bromothymol blue (The API pH reagent) is more accurate than universal indicator, trust what your test kit says, not some number on the web.
Jack Middleton

Postby malakye » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am

Like Jack said go with the test kit not whats on some computer screen.
If I rememeber correctly your down Birmingham way, not sure on area but I have a friend down there who said they are in a hard water area so it could be the computer details have been put in wrong, it does happen.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cathface » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:59 pm

to be the fourth to back the API results, unless your kit is over 3 years old, I'd trust that over what the company is/was saying.
cathface

Postby Getthejist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 pm

My test kit is only about 6 months old so it's probably correct. I'm pretty sure the water is soft though but I suppose it may vary with the supplier? Thanks for the help.
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Jack Middleton » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:59 pm

pH isn't a measure of water hardness though, KH and GH are and these influence pH depending on what other dissolved organic acids are in your water supply.
Jack Middleton

Postby Mick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm from the midlands and my water is pH of 7.6, we have very hard water and get through loads of kettles :-):

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby mucklelass » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:14 pm

But you save a fortune in Diareze!!!
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Postby Blowfish » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Next