[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - I need a friendly snail eater.
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

I need a friendly snail eater.

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

I need a friendly snail eater.

Postby Kempinski » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:22 pm

I have a 29 gal tank that has been running for 4 months now, I'm looking for a cichlid that will be compatible with guppies and swords, but is also a snail eater. Ideally I'd like it to be a South American Cichlid as I already have Otos, Corys, Guppies, Platys, and Swordtails. Any suggestions?
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Re: I need a friendly snail eater.

Postby malakye » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 pm

You could get a few assassin snails or dwarf chain loaches as they will rid you of snails.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kempinski » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Assassin snails have been floating around in the back of my brain as potential additions, but I also want a cichlid in this tank eventually. It is possible to move some of my inhabitants of my tank to my brothers if need be, but I don't want to interfere with his tank ideas too much :lolflag
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby malakye » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 pm

I am not big on cichlids but the ones I do know who would work with your fish are not snail eaters.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kempinski » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm

I should have been more specific on that, a baby snail eater. Not sure if that changes anything as far as cichlid selection goes. I want it to be aggressive to the smaller ones as I do want some snails just not explosive amounts over time. (They're MTS, I also have a Red Nerite (it's not a problem at all))
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby Big Den » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 am

If you can see lots of Malaysian trumpet snails in your tank, check your water parameters and aeration. These snails live most of the time in the gravel and are a good indication of water problems if they keep going up the glass to the surface. I don't know of any cichlids that will eat this particular snail as they are quite tough to crush, botias would be the best bet as they 'winkle' them out of their shell.
Big Den

Postby Kempinski » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 pm

I'd have to relocate my Red Nerite Snail to my brother's shrimp tank, but YoYo or polka dot loaches have also been a thought. My only issue is 5 peppered corys and 2-3 loaches would over crowd the bottom wouldn't it?

EDIT: But ideally I'd like to keep everything South American.
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby malakye » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Get yourself a couple of assassin snails.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blowfish » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 am

Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Return to Freshwater Chat