[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Advice on fish to volume ratio
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Advice on fish to volume ratio

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Advice on fish to volume ratio

Postby bearphylls » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi :bye:

I have a 20l tropical freshwater tank which currently holds:

1x Male Siamese Fighting Fish
1x Yamato Shrimp
1x Cherry Shrimp
1x Dwarf Otocinclus
2x Zebra Danios
3x Lamp Eyes

I thought this was maxed out but a guy in the pet store informed me that I can keep many shrimp as they clean more than they make mess.

I see what he means as they're eating algae but surely they're still excreting a lot?

Can I have more shrimp or any other things in there or will this be getting crowded? (I would love a little frog but I realise this may be unrealistic :taunt: )

Also, do I need an aeration pump with this many fish?

Cheers :winkin
bearphylls

Re: Advice on fish to volume ratio

Postby malakye » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Shrimp produce a minute amount of waste so the shop was correct that you can add more without it affecting the tank. Frogs, fish and snails however would increase the bioload so would over load you.

Do you have a filter in the tank, if so then no you don't need an aeration pump.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bearphylls » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks :-): may get a couple more then as they're supposed to like company.

Yeah, I have a filter but wouldn't mind an aeration pump for aesthetic value thinking about it.

Also, I have a few snails in there I would like to get rid of. I've tried reducing feeding, water-vaccing and I even put a bit of cucumber in a jar to attract them for removal yet there's still a strong population. Any ideas?
bearphylls

Postby malakye » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Only way to get rid of snails safely is to pick them out really. Dont use any of the snail remedies as they will kill your shrimps.
If you want the effect bubbles give to the tank then you can do so just make sure they are not too strong to cause too much flow for your betta or shrimp.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:23 pm

I notice that you only have a couple of Danios, keeping them in less than groups of 6 can make them fin nippers and their very active swimming can harass some tank mates.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:43 pm

He only has a 20 litre tank so cant really up the numbers to 6 Mick.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mick » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:07 am

Problem is Danios need a lot of room as they are very active.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby cathface » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:42 pm

my personal opinion is that 20l is not really big enough for more than a betta and some shrimp tbh. I've got a 35l with just one male betta and a colony of red cherries, and I wouldn't dream of adding any other species, despite it being planted. but that's just me.
cathface

Postby malakye » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:44 pm

The Danios and rice fish would have been much better in a larger tank and just leaving the betta with the shrimp.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blowfish » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:00 am

I would also remove the danios !! :blus:
but 1 or 2 more shrimp like cherries or crystals would prob be ok :thu:
also make sure the flow coming from your filter breaks the surface of the water this will give you plenty O2 :ok:
Make sure to change 25% water once or twice weekly .... got any pics?? :-):
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Next

Return to Freshwater Chat