[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Just how well do fish see?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Just how well do fish see?

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Just how well do fish see?

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am

In three rooms of my house I am literally surrounded by fish tanks and as I sit in my living room I can't help but notice I'm being watched. Two of the three tanks in my living room have but a single specimen each. One being a Jaguar and the other being a Texas cichlid and both of them are watching me constantly. But not only are they watching me they're also studying my habits and they appear to have studied well.

Of course they all get excited when I reach for the food containers that's an easy one, but I've noticed different reactions to different items. The Jaguar for example will go into hiding when she see's the gravel vac from 15 feet off but once it's gone she'll wait eagerly at the top of the tank doing a little happy dance just waiting for those buckets of fresh water to come and she knows they're coming. But the thing that impresses me most about her is the reaction I get every time I reach into my freezer which is about 18 feet from her tank and barely visible from where she sits. She'll do back flips whenever I head that way. She must really love those frozen blood worms.

The Texas is either smarter or just has a better view of the kitchen from his spot in the living room because he only reacts to the freezer when I actually pull out the tray of blood worms. I can pull anything else I want out of that freezer and he'll watch me but I don't get any real reaction out of him until that tray of blood worms comes out at which time he starts doing back flips at the surface slapping the surface of the water with his tail. Lucky for him he has more than just me to keep him amused during the day. One of my dogs crates sits sandwiched between my wife's love seat and his tank and the top of that crate is just about even with the bottom of that tank so he'll usually stay somewhere near the bottom of that tank on the side closest to the crate while Oscar lays on the crate staring out the window. I'm actually fairly certain he's watching out the window the same as that dog is. I wonder just how far he can see?

It's also interesting to notice the absolute lack of reaction to anything my wife does in their presence since she has no connection to anything even remotely related to their routines. She can go in and out of that freezer all day long and that Jaguar wouldn't raise an eyebrow even if it had one.
POS_miniracer

Re: Just how well do fish see?

Postby Mick » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Interesting post, a lot of people laughed at me when I told them my Discus would immediately stare at the television when it was switched on, any fish that I have kept only react when I approach the tank, they tend to hide a bit when other people approach it (especially the grandkids :-): ).

Fish are definitely not stupid and can get used to routines that we create for ourself but also interacts with the routines of the fish.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm

They are much smarter than people give them credit for, I have often said I am not sure who watches who, is it me watching them or them watching me.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Getthejist » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 pm

My betta is always watching me and as soon as I reach for the food he gets really excited, and he guards his bubble nest from all the other fish.
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Blowfish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Apparently fish see as well if not better than us :wtf:
Sight is extremely important in most fishes. The eye of a fish is basically like that of all other vertebrates, but the eyes of fishes are extremely varied in structure and adaptation. In general, fishes living in dark and dim water habitats have large eyes, unless they have specialized in some compensatory way so that another sense (such as smell) is dominant, in which case the eyes will often be reduced. Fishes living in brightly lighted shallow waters often will have relatively small but efficient eyes, being able to zone in and focus on small insect pray.
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Return to Freshwater Chat