[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Discus
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Discus

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Re: Discus

Postby Katfish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 am

Thank you

It is a good read and I think I will go with 5 or 6 of them then it will give me a good mix of medium and small fish which will make it look more natural to have a good mix of sizes.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Katfish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 am

Another one I have come across that has had great results is the Parrot fish with the larger tetras like lemons.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 am

Severums can be tricky to sex accurately.
The typical longer ventral and dorsal fins can be such a subtle difference that it's hard to tell especially with juveniles. Another guide is the gill plate and face markings. Typically the females are much more plain while the males will show more "worming" or dots, but again that's only a rough guide. Sometimes their head shape (profile) is slightly different with the males being a little rounder looking and the females being a little pointier looking. And as is typical the females are usually smaller. It helps if you're looking at a large group from the same source at the same age so you can compare the differences and make an educated guess.

Mature Gold Severums are stunning by the way. My father has kept them for years and they are just gorgeous.

I'm not such a fan of parrot fish though. They're a man made mutant that doesn't exist in the wild.
POS_miniracer

Postby Katfish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am

They have about 15 in the tank at my LFS and they all came in on the same day from the same batch so I was told.

I never knew that about parrot fish but I knew about the yellow Severum being man made as in the colour.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:22 am

Parrot fish are horrible man caused mutations, half the poor things cant even eat properly because of their malformed mouths.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 am

Here's a couple of older pics of my father's 125G set up.
You can see two of his Gold Severums at least I think they're both gold, one does look more orange than the other, and his Parrot fish.

POS_miniracer

Postby Katfish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:37 am

Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Katfish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the pic's Tom yep I will get myself a few gold ones.

So now I have found out about parrot fish is think I will give them a miss

Any other medium lo large fish could I have with my stock list that will not eat plants?
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

Stole this from another site

"The exact origin behind this hybrid is unknown. It is however a result of cross breeding between different South American cichlids. The most accepted theory is that The blood parrot cichlid is the result of cross breeding a male "Cichlasoma citrinellum" (midas cichlid) and a female "Cichliasoma synspilum" (redhead cichlid). There are however also a number of theories that thinks that parrot cichlids contain genes from some kind of Severum cichlid."

Their colors are pretty but I find them painful to watch. They just look so uncomfortable and awkward.

I like Gourami's myself. There are a lot of really nice color varieties. I think I like the Honey and the Pearl best.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Gourami fan myself, like Tom I have a huge soft spot for the pearls, have 2 pair of those in my own tank. Kissers are nice too.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Chat