Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Eggs but not a clue.

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Eggs but not a clue.

Postby Katfish » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Today went to do my WC and as I removed the night I came across this sack off eggs.

They are about 4-5" from water surface and I have no clue as to what they came from other than my apple snails but just want to double check that is not a nasty they has used my wet and humid place.

Katfish
Donator
Donator

Re: Eggs but not a clue.

Postby Getthejist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Snails generally lay their eggs above water so I would have expected it to be them and it looks like quite a large batch and apple snails are quite large do I'd assume they are applesnails eggs. However for them to hatch you need a male and a female (unlike most snails) to produce babies and there is a good chance that the fish will eat them. You could move them to a seperate tank to raise but I'm not sure how.
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby malakye » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:17 pm

They are Applesnail eggs.
As Getthejist stated they do need males and females to produce BUT what he never said was that female snails store sperm for months and its unusual for them to lay unfertilised eggs. As the eggs are out of the water the fish dont usually touch them its when they are ready to hatch you have to watch for the babies being eaten. My own applesnail eggs are just over a week now.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katfish » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks will keep an eye on them how long till they hatch or should I say how long till is remove them as they might be dud ones ?
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:01 pm

depending on the heat it can be anything between 2 weeks to 5 weeks. They reckon you should be able to see the babies moving in the eggs before they hatch. There is a great chance they will hatch as applesnails store sperm for 3 months at a time from a mating and they are kept in mixed batches in the petstores.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katfish » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Well the 2 apple snails I have do have lots of contact with each other and most nights they are all over each other.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Return to Freshwater Chat