Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Time for a change.

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Time for a change.

Postby Katfish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Well after a long hard think I am moving away from the planted tank setup and going back to the fish I love the most OSCARS :-):

I am also going to change from sand to gravel and looking for suggestions on where to buy the gravel as my LFS wants £15 per 15kg and I need around 150kg.

All my plants and co2 setup will go up for sale in the new year when I do the change over and 98% of my fish will also need to go to new homes too.

It has been a joy to do a planted tank but always having that pull towards Oscars in the back of my head.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Re: Time for a change.

Postby Big Den » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Wow! thats a lot of gravel Kat, that's 6 large sacks! If you are going to keep oscars they will be shifting that gravel around quite a bit so less will be better. Also if you intend to use some rocks they will take up space.
Big Den

Postby Katfish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Right my tank is 72"x 24" and looking for around a 2" depth of gravel and I am going to use the 10mm gravel is this a good depth and size gravel ? and how much will I need?

Also this is my fish list at present what could I keep with the Oscars? I have put in red what I think would be ok

Forgot to say I will be buying baby Oscars not full grown ones.

Hoplosternum thoracatum x 4
Lemon Tetra x 8
Head and Tail Tetra x 8
Royal plec x 2
Clown plec x 2
SAE x 4
Bristle Nose Plec x 3
Whiptail Catfish x 4
Coolie Loach x 8
Sunset Gourami x 1
Glowlight Tetra x 8
Zebra Danio x 10
Peppered Cory x 5
Albino Cory x 7
Serpae Tetra x 5
Flame Tetra x 4
Angel fish x 6
Clown Loach x 6
Peacock Gobie x 1
Black Ghost knifefish x 1
Odessa barbs x 9
Black skirt Tetras x 5
Upside Down Catfish x 5
Feather Fin x 1
Westeren Rainbow Fish x 4
Red Rainbow Fish x 2
Golden Nugget Plec x 1
Weather Loach x 2
Pitus catfish x 1
Cradinal Tetra x 11
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Barry » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:47 pm

I think 150kg of gravel in a 72x24 tank would be around 6" deep, if you want 2" I would say you would be looking around the 55kg mark if my calculations are correct that is. :ok:
Barry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi Katfish, How have you been?

Here in the states my LFS sells a product form this company http://www.redflint.com/
Apparently it's intended use is for water filtration. I use it in all my tanks. It's all natural colors and available in different sizes. Even when sold off the LFS store shelves it's much cheaper by the pound than the normal "fish tank" gravel.
Maybe there's a similar company in your neck of the woods you could look in to?
Den is right though in that many of the larger CA/SA cichlids do not require much. Many of my tanks were kept fairly sparse with bare spots. They tend to dig shallow spots/pockets or bare spots for themselves anyway.

If you're starting with juveniles I think you'll find there's a lot that can be kept with them assuming water chemistry requirements and set up are similar for all involved. I would be inclined to try them with almost any pleco or true catfish. Oscars in my experience don't tend to be too overly aggressive but you do need to be careful with anything that they can perceive as fitting in their mouth. I remember a while back when Mick was keeping Oscars and one of them thought they could handle a cory cat and it got stuck in the Oscar's mouth. And recently I had a Jaguar do the same.
POS_miniracer

Postby Katfish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for the reply

Well if that's the case about baby Oscars then I might get away with keeping my angel fish aswell

So going on keeping the substrate to a min 4 bags should be enough.

Thanks for the link to the substrate but I am trying to keep away from anything sand like as don't have the time to do the careful cleaning of it etc.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Go to something like homebase or B&Q and buy their pea gravel, its small and looks ok but works out a lot cheaper. Takes a bit of cleaning but works ok in the tanks, I have used it myself in the past.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Chat