Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Nutrafin Test Kit

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Nutrafin Test Kit

Postby Graeme » Sun May 18, 2014 4:21 pm

I bought a Nutrafin test kit and tested my tap water as we have moved house and I have the new tank coming soon. I tested the 20lt tank with the Angel in too. Both were pH about 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10ppm. The nitrate test is quite difficult to read so 10 is a bit of a guess. The colour chart on the back of the pamphlet shows shades of purple pastels but the test water is a vivid shade and so difficult to compare.

I poured the tap water test away before I did the tank water test, next time I'll do a tap water test and a tank water test and compare the two.

Is the nitrate test in the API test master kits any easier to read or do I just need to get some more practice in?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Re: Nutrafin Test Kit

Postby malakye » Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 am

I find the API test kit really easy. All I will say is read the instructions as bottle 2 on the API nitrate kit needs shaken for a bit before you add it to the vial or you get a false reading, you then have to shake the vial for a bit after adding it as well. (one is 30 seconds the other a minute and right now I cant remember which one is which lol.)
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Yeah, the Nutrafin NO3 test has 5 drops each from bottle 1 and bottle 2, then shake bottle 3 for 30 seconds before adding 3 drops.

How easy is it to read the result with the API test set?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Tue May 20, 2014 1:48 pm

I always find it easy to read.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Chat