Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Starting a new tank

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Starting a new tank

Postby Graeme » Sun May 18, 2014 8:22 pm

When my new tank is in place and full of water, would it be a good idea to transfer the hang in the tank filter and the fish to the new tank from my 20lt tank? Would the nitrogen cycle keep up with the filter transferred to the new tank since the bio load would still be the same? Or should I leave the 20lt alone and buy a bottle of ammonia?

Regards

Graeme
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Re: Starting a new tank

Postby Graeme » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:26 am

Well the 520lt tank is set up and the media is in the filter and the ammonia is going in each evening. I'm keeping the level at 4ppm. The 20lt has two small hang in filters running and I'm going to leave the fish where they are till the new tank is cycled. I was thinking of transferring one of the small hang in filters to the new tank to add a bit of bacteria to speed up the process.

Would this be a good idea and would it just be a simple case of taking one of the filters out of the 20lt and putting it in the new tank or should I take the media out of one of the 20lt filters and transfer that to the filter in the new tank?

Cheers
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:27 pm

You could do it either way, if its easier to just move one of the filters over then do that but if you swap the media over you could swap it a few times to give the new tank a boost. Just keep an eye on the stats in the small tank if you do move one of the filters over so that you don't have a spike in there.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Cheers Candise. I didn't consider that the move might cause a spike in the old tank. I think I'll put half the media from one of the filters in the new tank and replace it in the filter with new media. Then, as you say I'll be able to swap it over again.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Return to Freshwater Chat