[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Where can I buy this type of fish? (and what type I have?)
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Where can I buy this type of fish? (and what type I have?)

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Where can I buy this type of fish? (and what type I have?)

Postby Rhistle » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:25 am

Well, I actually wanna know about where I can buy two different kinds of goldfish. I'm not looking to purchase any right away, but I'd like to know ahead of time, and it's also been bothering me since I can't find any websites for it.

The first I'd like to know where I can find is the different color morphs of the black moor goldfish. I really love how the chocolate moors look, and lavender sounds beautiful, too. :)

The second I actually saw at a pet store, but I haven't been back since to ask about what it was. It looked just like a regular fantail goldfish, but it was pure black. No bug eyes like a moor, and it had a longer, sleeker body with long, flowing fins. It was gorgeous!

As for the "(and what type I have?)", I'm curious about my own little fishies! I'm not super into fish (don't get me wrong, I love my fish and I can't wait to upgrade my tank to add more), and I don't actually know a whole lot about them as far as identifying different species. I got two of my fish from WalMart, and they were just labeled Fantail Goldfish. I didn't think anything of it afterword, but I started doing some research on if they like to play (and what toys they might like), and I read that there are different types of fantails. That got me wondering since my two have such different body shapes from each other. I know there are different species like the lionheads or moors, but the stuff I was reading suggested differences like ribbon tails vs. butterfly tails. I also have a pleco that I got from Meijer, and I found out after the fact that there are different kinds of plecos, too! Unfortunately, the place I got it from just labels it as a plecostomus, so I'm not entirely sure. It's also really shy, so when I pulled my phone out to take a picture, it darted right into the plants I have in there. When I'm able to get a good picture, I'll come back here to post it, but for now, I've got some picture of my goldfish.

And a better shot of the larger one's tail:

Sorry everything looks so light and cloudy. I didn't even have the flash on, so I don't know what happened there. :/ Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Rhistle

Re: Where can I buy this type of fish? (and what type I have

Postby Graeme » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:43 am

The one on the left looks like a Ryukin shape. The double tail on the one on the right would indicate that it is a Veiltail. The Goldfish entry in Wikipedia has quite a few varieties photos and descriptions.

I had a Black Moor. He was really cool! I've only ever bought fish in local fish shops. But we're a bit spoilt for fish shops in Kent!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 am

Look in the cold water profile section for other ideas.
I assume from your walmart mention you are in the states, Tom will hopefully see this and give you more ideas on the best place to look but if you google search pet stores dealing in coldwater and tropical fish you can usually find dedicated stores quite close to where you are.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rhistle » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:55 am

Thanks! I'll look there. :) And I'm glad I have a better idea of what variety of fish I have.
Rhistle

Postby Graeme » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:17 am

Have you managed to get a photo of your Plec?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Rhistle » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:03 pm

No, and I had the perfect opportunity last night but I was too tired. :/ Hopefully I'll have it sometime tomorrow though
Rhistle

Return to Freshwater Chat