Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Upgrading my established tank, new to fish keeping

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Upgrading my established tank, new to fish keeping

Postby fishiemomma » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:43 am

I currently have a 20G-long tank with about 5 adult platys and two tiny babies, one albino bristlenose pleco, and 5 cory cats.

I have recently moved and wanted a bigger tank, and purchased a 55G tank that is now rinsed out and sitting empty on its stand at my new apartment. I am unsure how to go about moving my fish and rocks and such into the new tank. Do I need to do a fishless cycle beforehand in the new tank? Or just move the water over with the fish? Also not sure if the water will be high enough to run through the filter as its only for a 25-35 gal tank and not sure how much the 20G will fill up in the 55G. Any advice would be appreciated, have had these fish for about a year now and am pretty attached to them, so I would like to avoid any casualties or undue stress to them if I can. :sos:
fishiemomma

Re: Upgrading my established tank, new to fish keeping

Postby Big Den » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Welcome. Move your filter over to the new tank, move as much water as possible, then top up with fresh water. The filter will still cope with the bioload unless you add more fish, in which case you will need a bigger filter.
Big Den

Return to Freshwater Chat