Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Fish keeping gone wrong?

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Fish keeping gone wrong?

Postby Vestyxe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:17 am

Not so long ago I was staying in a government own facility and I spent most of my time with the fish tank, at first I thought everything was fine, the person who was in charge of this tank clearly knows what he was doing but after I left I decided I was ready to delve in to fish keeping finally, I'd really liked most of the fish in the tank there and they seemed pretty easy to care for so I immediately started doing research on most of the fish and saw that most of them seemed incompatible with eachother and the tank they were in, also the tank was always filled with algae, one of the staff members cleaned the decorations with bleach to try and get thick algae off of them and the contents of the filter were changed every two weeks.

Am I being silly or is this tank messed up?

http://youtu.be/HR_S1hve5pE
Vestyxe

Re: Fish keeping gone wrong?

Postby Big Den » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:03 am

Mixing African species with South American is not recommended but saying that they seem to be in very good health.
Big Den

Postby Vestyxe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:43 am

The small blue Africans only bothered each other, the convict Cichlid bullied everything else.
I was mainly thinking about how big JD's, GT's & Bala sharks get but now that I think about it they could be re-homed, then again the guy in charge did tell me that when his Severum got too big for it's tank he put it in a bucket of water and poured a lot of clove oil in it.

Sorry to bother anyone with my silliness, I'm just curious.
Vestyxe

Postby malakye » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:23 pm

the guy in charge sounds like a complete twat, he could have easily of rehomed the severum so to kill a healthy fish is wrong. Its not the best mix of fish. The tank looks too small for the fish involved.
Washing the ornaments with bleach isnt the brightest of ideas either, if they do not rinse it off properly they can wipe out the whole tank. They should only ever clean the filter in a bucket of old tank water when the flow slows and replacing the media is just wrong, they are basically killing off the bacteria needed to keep the tank healthy.
There is nothing silly in your posts, your curious and we would rather you asked, there is no silly questions in fish keeping
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Chat