Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Favourite Cichlids?

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Favourite Cichlids?

Postby Vestyxe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:34 am

Do you prefer African or South American cichlids and within these types what are your favourites? (Favourite in looks, attitude, how hardy they are, anything that makes it your favourite)

I myself can't really decide when it comes to SA cichlids because I just like practically all that I see, some more than others but I've noticed not all of the same species look the same, id would normally say Jack Dempsey after one particicular specimen I saw but further research showed that many were really not as aesthetically pleasing.

I don't know what it is but I'm not really fond of African cichlids but I have seen some beautiful peacock cichlids, I haven't really encountered many African cichlids in person and most that I see online are very standard and for the most part very blue.

I'm a bit silly, I can appreciate practically every fish for what it is but I'm still nitpicking and indecisive.
Vestyxe

Re: Favourite Cichlids?

Postby Graeme » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I was going to do Peacocks, I think they're really good looking and their behaviour, especially their parenting skills is fascinating. I liked the Ruby Reds if you're ever in the What Fish Am I thread! But you can't have much else in the tank with them so I went for a mixed community tank. One day when I can convince the missus that another tank is a good idea then maybe I'll do some Malawi Cichlids.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 pm

I have never been a fan of cichlids for the simple reason you can't really mix them, I like a community tank with different species. They also need larger tanks which for me meant I could have a nicer community mix lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:03 pm

My personal favourite's are N.Transvestites......peaceful and absolutely fabulous colouration...
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby Vestyxe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Pretty little fish, I like the red belly.

I forgot to add to my non related tank wish list the fire eel, whoa mama.
Vestyxe

Postby Vestyxe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Oh bother, did one of my replies not send or get rejected? Two replies are missing.
Vestyxe

Postby Vestyxe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Sorry for the spam but I'll redo my previous reply that is missing.

Graeme, peacock cichlids are beautiful, especially the ones with purple and orange type colours mixed through, the only one I encountered in person was a greenish colour with black and yellow flecks through it, it was still pretty.
I just came across the ruby reds the other day, very pretty although I don't like that fish body type, I don't know why.
Malawi cichlids seem to be popular, good luck with your female.

Candise, they're still a pretty good fish even if you're limited, I really like the Red Jewell Cichlid, very pretty to me but even then if I had a massive tank it wouldn't be a Cichlid tank, it would be full of clown loaches, roseline sharks, maybe a large gourami, a royal Pleco, a nice fire eel and maybe if it didn't get too aggressive a black ghost knife fish, I really like knife fish, it's a shame at how big they get though.
Vestyxe

Return to Freshwater Chat