[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Need help identifying a plant.
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Need help identifying a plant.

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Need help identifying a plant.

Postby Vestyxe » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:58 pm

So I was just looking at plants today to see if there were any I wanted and before I'd even decided if I actually wanted any of the plants my mother flagged over an assistant to get out a plant for me, I felt really awkward and didn't want to waste anybody's time so out of guilt I just asked him for the hardiest plant and I was so awkward that I didn't ask for the name, can anybody tell me what I've just bought?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah2 ... 6bad50.jpg

It's the bushy one in the background.
Vestyxe

Re: Need help identifying a plant.

Postby Big Den » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:56 am

Looks like Elodea, commonly used in bunches for goldfish tanks.
Big Den

Postby Graeme » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:21 pm

Sometimes known as Canadian Pond Weed

Also, if you click on the img link to the right of the picture on the photobucket page it will copy a link. Then if you paste it into a new post it will appear like magic!

Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Den has given you the name of it, it is a hardy plant and you can split the bunch into smaller bunches. When it gets too tall simply snip the top and plant them.
Tell your mum not to be so pushy lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks guys.
What's your general opinion on the plant?
Vestyxe

Postby Big Den » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:56 am

I tried it in a tank once but it just melted, :bor: chucked it in the pond and it went wild, ended up taking bags of the stuff out, but since introducing grass carp to the pond I have no plants at all in there. ;plo)
Big Den

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:38 pm

As Den said it is bad for just melting, I found if you separate the strands so more light gets right down the bottom then it does better, take the weight off it and just push the strands into the sand.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:51 am

Big Den was right, I woke up this morning to see what was basically just brownish green mush and bits of leaf floating around my tank, most of it is way past dead, right now I have 4 surviving long strands and one tiny little one, they look a little shabby right now, don't know if they'll survive.

Right now I have lots of dead and dying plant matter floating around my tank, I got all the big bits out but the little ones are proving more annoying, am I allowed to do a large water change now or will this mess up my cycle and am I better off just sitting and trying to net it out like a pleb?

Vestyxe

Postby Big Den » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:47 am

If you are cycling the tank do not change the water. Just use a fine net to scoop up the bits of plant.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:25 pm

I tested your water on saturday and your cycle is complete, I did tell your mum to tell you to do a water change now. As Den said use a net to scoop out any bits you cant get when doing the change.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Freshwater Chat