Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Newbie in need of emergency help!!

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Newbie in need of emergency help!!

Postby Alipop201313 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:35 pm

I need constructive, helpful advise please (don't be mean I'm trying)
Around 5 months ago I purchased a 30L biOrb, cycled the tank for a few weeks, then purchased 2 oranda fish from pets at home (UK)

1 of my 2 fish was relatively larger than the other, for a week everything was fine, until my smaller fish started to develop white spot on his tail fin (of which I treated) but it never went ,blood coloured streaks down his fins and he used to sit upside down in the plants then I noticed my larger fish 'pecking' my smaller fish...my smaller fish deteriorated within a week!! I contacted the store who advised I take him back to them so they can isolate him in a treatment tank...I reluctantly agreed, he died within a few days (so they say)
So I was left with just the one oranda, I continued with my weekly water tests, treatments and changes and for a while everything was ok, up until recently, here are my water test results and what I've been doing:

01st October 2014-
PH: 6.0
Ammonia: 8.00ppm!!!
NO2: 0ppm
NO3: 80/160ppm!!!!

*25% water change,
*vacuumed ceramic media,
* API goldfish aquarium cleaner,
* API goldfish protect treatment,
* Cleaned all plants and ornaments

02nd October 2014-
* 25% water change,
* fed 2 'tetra goldfish gold japan premium sinking pellets'

03rd October 2014-
Ammonia: 4.00ppm!!!
* 25% water change

04th October 2014-
* 25% water change,
* fed 2 'tetra goldfish gold japan premium sinking pellets'

05th October 2014-
Ammonia: 4.00/2.00ppm,
* Changed filter,
* API treatments,
* API aquarium salt,
* 25% water change

*Today* 06th October 2014-
PH: 6.4
Ammonia: 4.00ppm
NO2: 0ppm
NO3: 40ppm

* 25% water change
* aquarium salt

All of the things I have done have been advised by the store I bought my fish at, in my tank (plant wise) I have 2 bog wood with plants growing on them, 3 moss balls.

I usually do partial water changes every week and use only bottled water since our tap water here is too hard for my fish apparently.

My fish appears to look healthy, nothing wrong with his gills, fins look fine, no rapid gill movement.

The only things that are concerning me with his behaviour is he will just sit at the top of the tank with his top fin out of the water for HOURS!
He swims normally so I know it's not swimming bladder, he gets fed with, tetra sinking pellets and frozen bloodworm every other day he will have one or the other.

I am completely stuck and don't know what to do, I'm thinking it's possible that the air pump is not powerful enough and not oxygenating the water well enough hence him swimming/sleeping at the top of the tank?

I'd really really appreciate your help and expertise guys because I'm feeling so bad right now and I will do anything to make everything right for him.

Try not to be too mean but constructive criticism is welcome and LOTS of advice, this problem has been going on too long now :cry:

Do you think I'm doing too much??

I have tried to upload some pics of Fluffy (my oranda) but I can't work out how to do it on an I pad -.-

Thank you :)
Alipop201313

Re: Newbie in need of emergency help!!

Postby Big Den » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:44 am

To start with your 30 litre ' biorb' is too small for a goldfish, they need at least 45 litre per fish. Your pH is very low so you may be getting a false ammonia reading. Goldfish will adapt to hard water so I would stop using the bottled kind and gradually change during water changes. You should have a filter on this container that is capable of turning over the volume at least 5 times per hour. For goodness sake stop using chemicals, they do more harm than good. Good filtration, regular weekly 20% water changes should be all you need to do. Remember, the filter media, decorations, substrate etc is what holds the friendly bacteria.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi and welcome.
As Den said sadly the tank is too small for the orandas. Chemicals can cause more problems than they help with, a lot of stores will push chemicals for everything as they are simply more interested in cash through their tills.
To add a picture just click on the full editor button and you get the option to add an attachment or if you have a photobucket account (they are free) you can add pictures using the IMG code.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alipop201313 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi guys,
Thank you for your replies,
What do you suggest I do from now until I get a larger tank? The store told me that the tank would be fine as I also purchased that there too :(
If I'm getting false ammonia readings due to the PH what should I do?
Also is a biOrb suitable?
Alipop201313

Postby malakye » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:03 pm

bi-orb tanks are not ideal, they have a tiny surface area which makes oxygenating the water much harder. P@H are brutal for false selling fish and tanks, so sorry you have had such a poor start into fish keeping.
Keep doing smaller water changes until you get the tank a bit more stable, once it is so then you can go back to 20% a week but keep an eye on the stats.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alipop201313 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi Malakye,
I'm completely shocked that no one has shut them down!! :(
How can I tell if I'm getting false readings though?
Alipop201313

Postby malakye » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:25 pm

They are not the only ones who do give poor information sadly. The mark up on dry goods and tanks is much higher than on fish so they push chemicals and sell tanks that are too small hoping that once people realise they will come and buy a larger tank from them.
I would just keep testing the water and doing small changes.
What test kit are you using?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alipop201313 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:11 am

I'm using the API master test kit
Alipop201313

Postby malakye » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Thats a good test kit and the one I use myself. Just test weekly and see how things go.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alipop201313 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:57 pm

I'll be doing another test soon so I'll let you know the results :) thank you for the help :)
Alipop201313

Next

Return to Freshwater Chat