Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Obtaining wood for tanks

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Obtaining wood for tanks

Postby gordonuk » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Is it safe to go into the local woods and get pieces of wood and put them in a tank?
does the wood need to be dried out or can it be put straight into a tank?
it would be from an area that would not have been infected by poisons or anything.
is damp/moss/bark wood bad for a tank and fish?
gordonuk

Re: Obtaining wood for tanks

Postby Graeme » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:26 am

You will probably find they float!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:46 am

Any wood, shop bought or otherwise should be thoroughly cleaned and sterilised. Collecting wood from an unknown source is a gamble, it's the 'sap' that causes problems with the chemistry of the tank. I once used a branch of willow that had dried for 3 years in my shed, within a week the nitrates went through the roof, the fish were gulping at the surface until I removed it and did a 90% water change. On the other hand I have a branch off of an apple tree that dried for just over 18 months and it's fine, no problems at all. If you want to try some collected wood try soaking it for a few days and test the water before using it.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Make sure its not a soft wood as they rot. Pine should never be used as it releases sap continuously. In all honesty you are better to just go by mopani or bogwood, its a much safer and better option. I wouldnt use moss but have used oak leaves in a tank, just make sure they are clean and dried before using them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Chat