Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

plans for the 3ft

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

plans for the 3ft

Postby malakye » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:08 pm

We are going to be upgrading our 3x2x2ft marine tank to a 5x2x2ft in the next month or two, we are getting some work done in the kitchen and getting a utility area kitted out which all needs to be finished before we get the new flooring and skirting etc in the livingroom. Once those jobs are taken care off then the fun with the new tank begins which leaves the 3ft empty. As much as I love the marine fish I have to admit to missing having a tropical set up so the 3ft is going to be tropical. The only thing I have decided is that it will be planted and have sand again. The fish are still in question. I will be having corydora but can't decide which couple of species to go for. Bristlenose will be added and I will more than likely have a couple of farlowella again. BUT as to what other fish I am not sure what so ever.
I am actually looking forward to having a tropical tank again.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: plans for the 3ft

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Roll on the tropical tank, way more charm than marine tanks.

Do you know if you'll be grouping species from the same area or compatible species from around the world? Like mixing South American with Asians or Africans and such? Just curious, I was set out to be pure South American.... And then I went and plonked an African shrimp and an Asian fish in there like a tool, couldn't help myself, tank is still primarily SA but eh, haha.
Vestyxe

Postby Graeme » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:13 am

Here's hoping that the work on the house doesn't take too long! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the 3ft already!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:31 pm

After a lot of thinking and looking at fish etc I think (that may change yet lol) that I am swaying towards 2 groups of 6 corydoras which will probably be punktatas and metae, then I will be adding 3 groups of shrimp, I will have blue fire sakuras, red crystals (or cherry) and either black sakura or something else. There will of course be some bristlenose plecs as for fish because of the shrimp I am leaning towards a shoal of threadfin rainbows (of course they had to be in the mix they are after all one of my favourite fish) then a shoal of neon or cardinals and a shoal of lampeyes or galaxy rasbouras but the lampeyes being top of the aquarium dwellers are winning out for now.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby malakye » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi Vestyxe Barry may have got a bit carried away and is now unsure if he has deleted too much from this, so feel free to repost your fish suggestions lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vestyxe » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:44 pm

An, it's cool.
Vestyxe

Postby Graeme » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 am

The Rainbows will be a nice touch. I was thinking of Boesemani Rainbows for my tank they're nice too.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:39 pm

Boemani are nice but dont like the nitrates going too high, so be aware of that and if possible try to keep it around 10. Threadfins have always been one of my favourites so they had to be included.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Threadfins are gorgeous little fish....nice choice. :ok:
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:37 pm

I was up at edinburgh today and have confused myself.............arggggggg, I was all set for going tropical with the 3ft but saw some stunning anthias and bi-colour blennies today which have me doubting my decision because there are some really stunning little marine fish that I could never have with Charlie and Frankie.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Freshwater Chat