Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

white spot

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

white spot

Postby Harley » Sun May 03, 2015 4:28 pm

I have just introduced 5 cardinals into my tank and they have developed white spot. This happened the last time I introduced cardinals. Not with other fish. Although its not hard to cure I don't know how its getting there. I assume the fish are tank bred and they are quarantined at the LFS so they should be disease and parasite free. Troubling.
Harley

Re: white spot

Postby Graeme » Mon May 04, 2015 3:21 pm

The bacteria that causes things like White Spot are everywhere all the time. Mostly it's not a problem and the fish's immune system deals with it and no symptoms develop. Trouble is, when a fish gets stressed it's immune system weakens and then they're more likely to fall victim to the disease.

A bit like a cold sore or an ulcer! It isn't anything you're doing wrong.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Mon May 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Graeme has answered this perfectly for you.
Not all fish are tank bred sadly but even when they are it does not mean they are disease free. White spot is like a common cold in humans, we all carry it but its when we are run down or stressed that it can become an issue. The stress of being caught can be enough to kick off the white spot in fish.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Mon May 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks for the update. As I said it's not hard to get rid of. LFS advised me to use Punktol plus 125 but only use half a dose because of the cardinals. This works for me. The fish recover and don't seem stressed whilst undergoing the treatment. I don't think I'll buy any more cardinals though.
Harley

Postby superdart » Mon May 04, 2015 11:16 pm

WS in freshwater is an easy thing to clear with off the shelf meds. but the marine version C.iritans is a bloody nightmare if you get it.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby Harley » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:34 am

Update to WS problem. Course of treatment was completed and I was ready to activate the filter with carbon when I noticed the WS was still present. Could be the meds are getting old but they are still in date. Just finished a second course. Now I wait a week before touching the filter. Fingers crossed this time.
Harley

Postby Graeme » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:10 pm

That's annoying! Good luck with the second dose.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Personally I always used the king British whitespot medication and always found that to work really well.
Keep an eye on your stats as high stats can cause re-occurring outbreaks.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Chat