[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Rainbowfish ID
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Rainbowfish ID

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Rainbowfish ID

Postby Graeme » Sun May 17, 2015 7:56 pm

I think my Dwarf Rainbowfish are Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish Melanotaenia Praecox based on the photo in the profile. I've got 9 in a group but only one has red tipped fins like the photo, the other 8 have yellow tipped fins. Is this a sexual dimorphism or an age thing or have I got 8 fish that are not Melanotaenia Praecox?

Rainbow Colours 01.JPG

Rainbow Colours 02.jpg

Rainbow Colours 03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Re: Rainbowfish ID

Postby malakye » Mon May 18, 2015 3:26 pm

I bought a group of dwarf rainbow fish a few year back and out of the ten, 6 were red and 4 were yellow, I was told it was more than likely a poor breeding thing but I never found any difference with them and they stayed yellow, I actually quite liked the yellow colouring. So will be interested in finding out what you discover.
I was told by one that it could be a cross breeding with a boesemani rainbow that caused the yellow colouration.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Tue May 19, 2015 6:37 am

Bosemani genes might tend towards a more orangey hue as they grow. I'll keep my eye on them.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Anita » Wed May 20, 2015 8:44 pm

They look like Dwarf Neon Rainbows, I've kept them a few times. The red ones are the males and the females have the yellowy fins.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Graeme » Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Graeme
Donator
Donator

Return to Freshwater Chat