Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

debating

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

debating

Postby malakye » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:21 pm

As you may or may not know I was bought a rather large new tank for my birthday earlier in the year. Due to decorating, hospital trips for Barry and I and a few other health issues getting the tank up and running was put on hold, we also had to get a new stand built for the 5ft tank we are upgrading for the lionfish. The 5ft is almost finished just waiting on a couple of connectors being delivered for the plumbing of the sump and then that is good to go.

So heres the debating part. My tank is finally being brought home tomorrow, then the stand will get built, we have waited until the tank was physically here to get the stand built so that we knew it would definitely fit because the tank is not a basic shape. I was originally going marine with this tank for all the smaller prettier fish BUT I have really really missed having a tropical set up so thinking of going a planted tank with a massive shoal of neon, threadfin rainbow fish and shrimp oh and of course some bristlenose plecs.
Everytime I see the new tank I keep thinking it would make a stunning reef though so what would you do.
I have almost all the equipment needed to go either set up so that isnt an issue.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: debating

Postby Anita » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Hmm decisions decisions, for me it would be a planted freshwater tank. You could have two huge shoals and that would be an awesome sight of flashing colour. Also mimicking natural behaviour with the fish being in large numbers. Take your time in making a decision, nothing worse than wishing you had done things differently.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Graeme » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:32 am

Seems to me that the only answer to your dilemma is to get a third thank for the Lions, keep the 5ft for marine and set up the new tank as a planted tropical!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:05 pm

No to a third tank, not only do we not have the room for 3 big tanks neither Barry nor I have the time for 3 tanks with hospital trips, the dogs etc.
I might actually end up having to sell the new tank, we cant get it into the livingroom. I measured the gap between the radiator in the hall and the banister for the stairs, measured doorways but Never thought to measure the swing in the hall to get it into the livingroom, with the size it is it just isnt going in. The windows are not big enough to get it in that way either.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anita » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Oh that's rotten luck.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:00 pm

I thought it was time for an update on the tank situation. The corner tank is going to be sold sadly.
We have sold Charlie and Frankie the lionfish so the 3ft is going to remain the marine tank but is going to get a complete over haul. So why am I discussing this in the fresh water chat? Well I have decided I am going to use the 5x2x2ft tank as a fresh water community tank. I have missed having tropical fish and shrimp so this is a great excuse to go back to them.
I have to under go surgery to my spine next month and will be out for action for a couple of months after that but as soon as I am able too after surgery I will be setting it up. Barry is going to buy me an FX6, I have the heaters, lights etc. so will just have to buy soil, sand, plants etc. Looking forward to having a tropical set up again.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Really sorry to hear about the corner tank, you were looking forward to setting that one up. Great to hear you're doing a fresh water tank though! What you going to put in it?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 am

I will be sticking to small shoals of fish, I want a large shoal of between 50-100 neon then of course there has to be threadfins, I will be looking for either longfin albino bristlenose and or some super reds. Shrimp will be added, unsure of what kind yet. I am debating a shoal of rummynose and a pair of pearl gourami but as for the rest of the fish I havent really decided.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Chat