[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - David's Journal
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

David's Journal

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

David's Journal

Postby davyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 am

I no longer have dates but I'll write up what has been done to this point...

5 Gallon Tank
Initial set up - Current status
- Dark blue gravel substrate with small amount of hot pink gravel strewn throughout
- Four small plastic plants
- One castle ornament
- Added one female Betta
- Added two neon tetra's

30 Gallon Tank
Initial set up - Current status
- Light blue gravel substrate
- Two large plastic plants
- Five small plastic plants
- One large castle ornament
- One sunken ship ornament
- One driftwood ornament
- One medium stone
- Added seven zebra danio
- Added five gold danio
- Added one male and two female guppies
- Female guppy had fourteen fry

I will add some pictures as I change things and manage to get some better quality pictures.
davyboy

Re: David's Journal

Postby Mick » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:24 am

Look forward to seeing the pics :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:21 pm

with the 5 gallon tank although not ideal I would add another 3-4 neons as they are happier in groups.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby davyboy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:06 am

I initially did have a group of three as that's fairly close to the amount you'd want in that size, and debated on four or five, however I went away for the weekend and the automatic feeder decided not to automatically feed, and the sunken food I left in for the neons (as the betta probably wouldn't eat it) somehow managed to disappear to under the castle, two of the neons hid under the castle with the food, and one seemed to have a less happy fate with a very hungry betta...)
davyboy

Postby davyboy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 am

February 22nd 2011
Plans for the upcoming week.

5 Gallon Tank
- add two or three more neon tetras
- replace filter (done)
- take more pictures

30 Gallon Tank
- add more gravel
- add one onion bulb plant
- add 3 oto's
- add 3 albino cory's
- possibly introduce guppy fry to full tank (when they are large enough, next few weeks)
davyboy

Postby davyboy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Update March 8th 2011

5 Gallon Tank
- Added a male crown tail betta (who is showing off for her, and not aggressive to anything else in the tank in the least)
- Rearranged, planning to add bamboo or other live plants

30 Gallon Tank
- Redoing/upgrading DIY hood
- Added some corkscrew val plants
- Added 3 serpae tetra
- Maintaining Guppy Fry in Breeding Net (until a little bigger)
davyboy

Postby malakye » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:27 am

You really shouldnt keep male and female betta together in the same tank unless you plan to breed then they should only be put together for breeding purposes. He can and will get aggressive with her to the point of killing her.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby davyboy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:36 am

If that happens, I'll move her into the bigger tank, however I've seen it done successfully in other tanks, to the point where they would breed and he would claim a corner of the tank and everyone would leave him to have that corner, at that time they would breed about twice a year.
davyboy

Postby DominicJ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 pm

My LFS suggested 1 male 3 females would be ok in a tank.
Not sure quite how good they are though.
DominicJ

Postby davyboy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm

You have to be very careful (which I am) when housing a male betta with anything else, if a male decides he doesn't like a female he can kill her.
However back to my journal here are some more pictures

5 Gallon
- 1 male betta
- 1 female betta
- 2 neon tetras

30 Gallon
- 7 zebra danio
- 4 gold danio (due to one death)
- 1 male guppy
- 2 female guppies
- 20 guppy fry (found another 6 two days after initial movement of them into breeding net)
- 3 serpae tetra
- 1 corkscrew vallisneria plant

Well there's an update in pictures etc
davyboy

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals