[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - My first tank - 25l coldwater
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My first tank - 25l coldwater

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

My first tank - 25l coldwater

Postby Vectis Hams » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:37 pm

This is my first fish tank since the family tropical tank when I was a child. Setting up a tank seems more complicated now than it was then :read: . Although I've read up, I am a novice so any advice would be appreciated. I want to keep happy healthy fish that I enjoy.
It's a 25l fluval chi. I got it all set up today with the water (plus tapsafe), rinsed gravel and a couple of real plants. I intend to keep 6-8 white cloud mountain minnow in it. Does that sound about right? The pet shop did say I could put 12 in there if I did more than weekly cleanouts, but I don't want to overcrowd them.
These are my two plants which the fish shop man said should be ok with the lower light in my tank. He did tell me what they were called, but I forgot in the excitement of putting the tank together :blus: Apologies for the dodgy picture quality but my camera can't cope with the bubbles on the inside of the glass. Is anyone able to tell from the piccies what they are?
Image Image

There was a bottle of 'nutrafin cycle' included with the tank, so I put the recommended amount in too. The label says it will cycle a tank in 3 days. Am I right in thinking that's unlikely? I've got a mini master test kit (ammonia, pH, nitrate and nitrite) and I'm printing out the fishless cycling sticky thread to put next to my tank for when I get my ammonia tomorrow.

I'm so pleased with my tank even though there won't be any fish in it for a while.
25L Fluval chi: 1 Betta splendens, 2 zebra nerite snails
Many Chinese Hamsters
2 Syrian Hamsters

Vectis Hams

Re: My first tank - 25l coldwater

Postby Mick » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:56 pm

you are correct in thinking that about the cycling, no way can a starter culture cycle the tank in 3 days. Cycling can seem a bit if a pain at times but it will pay off. I am not a plant expert but someone will tell you what they are soon.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Vectis Hams » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:01 pm

I'd rather spend time cycling the tank than lose fish when I get them.
Bit of a daft question, but what is the best type of food for WCMM? All I can find is either tropical or goldfish. :blus:
Many Chinese Hamsters
2 Syrian Hamsters

Vectis Hams

Postby malakye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 am

Its not as daft a question as you think. I was never sure about them either so feed mine a mixture of everything in all honesty, they usually eat tetra prima granuals ground down small, but have had some goldfish flakes and have even seen them eating algae wafers I drop in for the shrimp
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vectis Hams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:20 pm

One of my plants is already looking a bit under the weather :( - the one with the pointy leaves, not the 'fluffy' one. The leaves seem to be curling up and going a bit brown. Do I need a fertiliser, and if so which one is good?
Also, someone has mentioned that I could have shrimps as well as the white clouds. Looking at the profiles I know I'll have to wait til the tank's properly cycled with no ammonia readings and I'd want the fish to be settled before adding them. Does this sound reasonable? Are there a particular type that do well with WCMM?
Many Chinese Hamsters
2 Syrian Hamsters

Vectis Hams

Postby Mick » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Often plants die off slightly when first added to the tank, just keep an eye on it and it should start to produce some new growth soon.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:54 pm

I have that same mix in my tank but make sure the water doesn't get too cold for the shrimp I keep a heater in my tank just incase.
Wait until your tanks been running at least 3 month before adding shrimp too it though.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tank Update

Postby Vectis Hams » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm afraid my journal update is a bit of a sorrowful tale. After 5 weeks of fishless cycling, I was getting negative ammonia and nitrite readings last weekend. On Monday I got my long awaited WCMM from my local pet shop.
I was so pleased with them and all 7 had names before they'd finished floating! Unfortunately within 24 hours all 7 had died. Discussing on here and with friends, I thought I'd put too many fish in at once and maybe had not acclimatised them slowly enough (all the chemistry was normal even when I'd just finished removing the dead fish).
On Tuesday I retuned to the pet shop where they gave me three WCMM. I floated them, very gradually introducing tank water. They were left with the light off and weren't fed. The only picture I have of them is while they were floating as they too died by the next day (once again, neagtive ammonia and nitrite readings).
I cleaned everything (except the filter media and live plants) in very hot water, and went to a specific fish shop. The fish tanks were pristine and the shop had no sick fish, unlike in the pet shop. The white clouds and golden clouds were stunning, but the assistant recommended zebra danios as they are even more hardy. So three little danios came home with me on Friday lunchtime.
I tested the water in the evening - ammonia 0, nitrite 0.1. By Saturday morning 2 danios had died and the nitrite was 0.3. The remaining little fish was gasping at the surface. I did a 20% water change to get the nitrite down, but he too died. The temperature sits between 22 and 24 deg (there's no heater).

Today I've thrown out everything except the tank, the stones and basket on the top of the filter and the filter, all of which I've washed and scrubbed in very hot/boiling water. I have new rinsed gravel, ornament and filter media. Next weekend I'm getting some mature media from a friend at a hamster show, then I'll start again with the fish. I hope to have an airpump and bubble wall delivered soon too. My plan for stocking eventually is 3 white cloud mountain minnow, 3 golden mountain minnow and some amano shrimp. I plan on introducing my next fish 2 each week and waiting for at least 3 months before thinking about shrimp. I've learned a lot of lessons from this last week, but really hope things go better from here out.
This is the tank as it is tonight
Many Chinese Hamsters
2 Syrian Hamsters

Vectis Hams

Postby Anita » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 am

The Fluval chi looks a great little tank. Get a sword plant for it, they are easy to keep. It will die off initially but will soon develop new under water growth. I think it's a trickle filter on these tanks, be sure not to wash all the inside of the filter out every week as you have to keep some of the good bacteria.
Great you are getting some old media to start the tank as this certainly speeds things up. Don't overfeed and add fish slowly... even though you are using a friends media to bump start the tank the bacteria over surfaces will have to develop. Good luck and happy fishkeeping.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Vectis Hams » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks, Anita. I've had a happy afternoon planting my tank. I tried to go for me-proof plants, so have an anubias, hygrophilia, what I think is a sword plant and some fluffy-looking plants (both green and red) that came in a bunch.
As well as the media, my friend's bringing me some of her bacteria-full gravel and a spare heater so I plan on getting a Betta from a local breeder. I've made a cover for the tank so he can't jump out
As well as the bogwood, I'll put in some indian almond leaves to try and bring down the pH. Is the 'pH down' stuff at pet shops any good? I don't want to add unnecessary chemicals if it won't work. Also do my plants need a fertiliser until my fish arrives?
Many Chinese Hamsters
2 Syrian Hamsters

Vectis Hams

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals