Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Help please

Chat about anything freshwater fish related here.

Help please

Postby Dom82 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:38 am

Hi am an new the the site I have been doing loads of of searches and not found what I think I need I have just started and have got a juwel 400 Rio tank tried to add a pic but will not let me. I am thinking of getting the below fish

2 bala sharks ( getting to as read up there better in pairs less aggressive or should be)

Angle fish (not sure how many I should get) can I get help with numbers

Tetra (again not sure what amount to get) can I get help with numbers

Can anyone see issues with this I am thinking of getting infant bala so there smaller than the tetra I know they will grow but.

What sort of plants should I get and can I please get advise on other fish to get would like colourful ones and would a cat fish do ok in there to clean the glass and stones

I am in leeds West Yorkshire

I would also like help on the best place to get fish from as I am not sure pets at home are the best they don't really seem to know what's going on and what fish is what fish

Sorry for the newbie question I bet you get them all the time but help would be good
Dom82

Re: Help please

Postby malakye » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi and welcome. That's a nice size tank, I had one of those myself. It works out at 450 litres which is slightly under 100 gallon.
What kind of tetra were you thinking? If it were neon tetra then that is not a good mix with Angel fish as the angels will eat them, they are one of their main foods in the wild and they revert back to it. Black neon can work as they get bigger. Angels are lovely, I had a breeding trio in my juwel tank along with pearl gourami, 5 cherry barbs, 4 emperor tetra, 6 black neon, 3 lemon tetra, farlowella catfish and cory catfish and bristlenose plecs.
Bala sharks are nice and do work well in pairs.

If you are planning catfish be aware they do better with sand as a substrate as it is kinder on their barbels. Bristlenose plecs are one of the best for cleaning the tank, they need a piece of bogwood as they will rasp on it but work at keeping the tank clear of algae.

Easy grow plants are things like Java fern, (you tie that to bogwood or ornaments do not plant it) amazon swords, vallis, cabomba etc. They do well with just a weekly liquid fertiliser added to the tank.

Don't ever apologise for asking questions that is what we are here for.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dom82 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Thank you so much for the advise

I was thinking of getting

Black phantom tetra

Also some chichlids

The last few questions

From the fish I have said what sort of numbers of each should I get and where from what is the best supplier for fish

And again thank you for your help

Ps so many people say the bala is a nightmare of a fish to keep is it because they are just kept in a tank to small or will I regret getting them I just think there a Lovley fish
Dom82

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:50 pm

You have a large tank so the bala will do fine, in small tanks they don't do so well as they soon out grow them. Just add them as the last fish.
Black phantoms are lovely and will work, you can get red phantoms as well which will add some colour. Always keep them in groups of at least 6, they are a shoaling fish and do better in groups. Rummy nose tetra are another nice fish that work well with angels, again in groups of at least 6. Angels you could get 4 in the tank and still leave plenty of room for some other fish.
I don't know your area or the best place to get fish from sorry.
Be careful adding other cichlid to the mix, kribs for example if they pair off will get extremely aggressive, the majority of cichlid's will so I don't usually recommend them in a community tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dom82 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 pm

This has been so helpful thank you are you able to mix the verities so say 4 blak and 2 red or do they like to stay the same so 6 of each

I really like the rummys will get some of them.

With regards to my old tank are they ok left empty for say 6 to nine months as I want to set up a second tank but want to concentrate on my new one first. Only asking as didn't want the sealant to go dry and crake and leek its a Rio 180 ???
Dom82

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:03 pm

You could go for 4 black and 4 red, they will shoal together but can separate into smaller groups that way if they choose too.
Your old tank will be fine. I have had tanks sit empty for over a year with no problems.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dom82 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Brilliant thanks once I can post pics and I have the tank sorted I will pop up some pics
Dom82

Postby Dom82 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm

One last question I need a pump for the tank I am thinking of getting a fluval 406 what are people's thoughts and are there any others I should consider
Dom82

Postby malakye » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:43 pm

The juwel rio 400 is a big tank at 5ft long and just under 2ft wide and high so the 406 would work, I used a fluval FX5 on mine, I like the fluval filters and for the price they are good.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:17 pm

I had 2 405's running on my 400 when it was fresh water....Great filters.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Return to Freshwater Chat